• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KitchenAid Dishwasher KUDE20FXSS4 - Not Drying after heater element & thermistor (fuse kit) replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragons76092

Premium Member
Model Number
KUDE20FXSS4
Brand
KitchenAid
My KitchenAid KUDE20FXSS4 (s/n F14001489) isn't drying dishes. Sometimes the light on front panel will show GREEN at end of a cycle most times not. Often dishes have excess water (clean water) on them.
You can feel the heat when door is open at end of cycle but it isn't as hot when normal dry cycle has completed. Suspect it is merely the hot water (we have hot water heater set just above the mid point i.e. on the hotter side).
Do not see any steam / heat venting from the vent on side of door...

Here is chronological events:

1/ Oct-2021 - Replaced (successfully)
a/ diverter motor p/n W10155344
b/ drain pump p/n WPW10348269
c/ drain hose p/n 8269144a
* inspected turbidity sensor, general clean up of accessible parts while unit was out from counter....etc
* unit cycled like new

2/ early Feb-2022 -
a/ had electrical burn/smell - unit wasn't drying dishes
b/ researched issue / indicated that replacing the FUSE (fuse kit W10402110) would do the trick.
b1. installed "successfully" but did not replace heater element at that time. Chalk it up to wishful thinking i could avoid pulling unit out from counter etc.
result: unit did not dry dishes but any electrical burn smell was gone .....
c/ unit runs through complete cycle but appears heater cycle not executing
d/ at this time wasn't aware of need to run diagnostics reset cycle (press 3 buttons 3 times quickly....)

3/ mid Feb-2022
a/ ordered heater element and successfully installed (p/n WPW10221529)
did not check old element for continuity - novice ..didn't think to do so nor did i check new element for continuity
b/ heater cycle didn't execute
c/ still wasn't aware of running diagnostic / reset cycle
d/ unit runs through cycle

4/ July 2022
a/ learned of diagnostic test
b/ ran unit diagnostic (press 3 buttons 3x within 1 second - result is panel light flashes green error code 6-3
b1 - checked for suds, no suds, unit will run through cycle; checked for secure water hose connection (ok), electrical connections seem tight.
b2 - unit still appears to NOT be executing the heater element
c/ checked water temp into unit - HOT, checked water to the water outlet valve - HOT
d/ run it with SANITIZE mode -
d1 - ran one cycle with sanitize mode on; at end of cycle sanitize light was steady green; anther cycle the sanitize light was flashing green - seemed to be hit and miss on sanizitize light being steady or flashing green.

Appreciate the help -
Robert

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Robert,

Anytime you replace a part on these dishwashers you always have to run the SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS CYCLE, and let it run all the way through to reset it back to default.

Entry sequence: Press any 3 keys in the sequence 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3 with no more than 1 second between key presses. NOTE: Some models have replaced the “Clean” LED with “Completed.”
The Service Diagnostics Cycle will start when the door is closed.

--->Invoking Service Diagnostics clears all status and last run information from memory and restores defaults. It also forces the next cycle to be a sensor calibration cycle.

LET IT RUN ALL THE WAY THROUGH: Service diagnostic cycle will take about 23 minutes.

Do that and see if that resolves the problem.

Jake

dragons76092

Premium Member
Jake

When I put it in diagnostic mode (all lights on display control panel are on) do I close door or press start/resume button then close door?

dragons76092

Premium Member
Jake

When I put it in diagnostic mode (all lights on display control panel are on) do I close door or press start/resume button then close door?

Attachments

• 99376C94-4D65-41E9-A429-6FB665A7719A.jpeg
    99376C94-4D65-41E9-A429-6FB665A7719A.jpeg
    415 KB · Views: 27

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

dragons76092

Premium Member
Ok, so I put dw into diagnostic mode , did not press start button, closed door.
DW ran for anout 23 minutes and completed cycle.

Not convinced that heater element worked -

Going to run a. Or S’L cycle - when u no it goes into heat stage- red light on display panel- I will pop
Open door and use my infra red thermal temperature gun to take reading of heater element

Fyi - after completion of the diagnostic reset(mentioned in this thread) I ran a second - after closing door I took note of the error code - unit flashed 10-2

What does that indicate?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You don't have the tech data sheet? Its usually located behind the lower bottom access panel.

Screenshot 2022-07-18 19.22.25.png

The problem is your model doesn't have a vent wax motor, so it sounds like your control board is malfunctioning, you will likely need a new control board.

Here's the control board for your model:
WPW10352582 Cntrl-Elec

Jake

Attachments

• W10195613-Tech Sheet.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 28

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok sounds good.

Jake

dragons76092

Premium Member
Jake - update

1/ still waiting on arrival of control board

2/ I have run numerous cycles of "normal" wash cycle with DRY option.

3/ Have also run numerous diagnostic cycles.

4/ Unit still seems to stop before completion of a full cycle. Leaving soapy residue on items notably plastic plates, cups tupperware etc. Not bad but you can feel the film.

5/ When this happens, run another cycle no detergent and it seems to clear things up.

6/ Using Cascade Platinum detergent, and Rinse Aid for rinse material.

7/ when unit stops mid cycle, i open and notice suds in basin - not sudsy like some put DAWN detergent in just low volume suds. so I run a full normal/dry cycle and that clears things up (see #5 above)

8/ On some but not all cycles, that end if successful completion (beep at end of cycle and a green display light on panel ...(after the blue, then RED (dry).....i open door and i can feel heat as if heater element worked. Not simply heat escaping from hot water wash/rinse ...

Error Codes
9 / Latest erro codes have consistently been the following:

Error signals Pass# - Error code

1 6-3
2 6-3
3 6-3
4 6-3
5 6-6
6 6-6
7 8-2
8 8-2
9 7-2
10 7-2
11 7-1
12 7-1

From tech bulletin and google searches I understand the codes but not why. For 6-3 i want a cycle after emptying and pouring 1/4 cup olive oil in basin. That cycle seemed to complete properly and significant heat escaped at end of cycle when door opened (after the beep signaling completion and display panel light went green.

but after that same pattern as indicated above.

Do you think control board replacement is most likely fix?

Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I do "as per the heating element problem".

But you should cut down the detergent amount you put in the dishwasher, to prevent oversudsing to prevent the mid cycle stoppage.

Jake

dragons76092

Premium Member
Using cascade packets so no way to limit amount - maybe go to the bill liquid squeeze bottle vs the packets

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Then it would be best to get the Cascade Powder Detergent.:)

If you get the liquid, just use a little.

Jake

dragons76092

Premium Member
Late posting but did want to close out on this thread

New control board (sourced from appliancepartspros.com) was installed. all is perfect! Just as Jake said it would be :)

Should have assumed board was shot when the initial event (burnt electric smell ie heater element failed) occurred. anyway, new board installed and all works great. pictures of the damaged board attached.
IMG_3927.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3926.jpeg
    IMG_3926.jpeg
    415.7 KB · Views: 5

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear that.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Good photo of the old board, seen a few burnt like that myself on my service calls.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.