• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Dishwasher KUDE40FXSP4 - Only works on "1 Hour Wash"

dickfink

Premium Member
Model Number
KUDE40FXSP4
Brand
KitchenAid
As far as I know, the Dishwasher was installed in 2011.

When I try to wash my dishes uses "ProWash", "Normal" or anything except the "1 Hour Wash" option, the dishwasher doesn't complete it cycle.

After running through some wash and drain cycles it ends up with all the lights off (responds to a touch of the keypad) and the detergent drawer open with the dishwasher pod sitting in it.

When I run it on "1 Hour Wash" it completes the cycle without issue through the heated dry. But as I understand it, that uses more water and as far as I can tell it doesn't seem to clean as well.

The Control board was replaced but that didn't solve the issue. The water in my area is quite hard -- not sure if that plays into it.

Curious if you all have any leads on what might be the culprit (or how to find out?)

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Keith,

When you first start the dishwasher it should fill, then you should hear the wash motor start and water splashing in the tub, are you hearing that happen at all?

I always remove the wash motor electrical connector and put my volt meter probes in it and check for 120 volts when the wash motor should be running.

Look at post #7 here: FIXED 665.13472N411 What to check on why it only washes about 5% of the cycle.

Unfortunately, the wash motor does not come separately, you have to order the pump/motor assembly to get it:

WPW10328226 PUMP&MOTOR

This video is very close to yours for accessing the wash motor and replacing the pump/motor assembly:

Jake

dickfink

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thanks for your reply.

It seems like the pump is working OK -- when the cycle starts I hear what sounds like the dishwasher filling with water (sounds a bit like a trickling faucet) for a few minutes and then the sound of water sloshing around for a while, then it drains. Then the fill-swoosh-drain cycle repeats a few times but eventually all the lights just turn off.

I started trying to get to the pump motor lead but wasn't quite willing to risk dis-assembling the dishwasher into a state which I wouldn't be able to re-assemble it. If I'm understanding the video correctly, I need to remove the entire assembly to get to the electrical connector on the motor (since it is towards the back of the unit).

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, if the wash motor is running fine, then there is no need to volt test it. The problem is elsewhere.

I'm attaching the tech. data sheet below, on Page 2 do--->SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS WITH ERROR CODES
--->Entry sequence: Press any 3 keys in the sequence 1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3 with no more than 1 second between key presses. NOTE: Some models have replaced the “Clean” LED with “Completed.”

The Clean (or Completed) LED will flash the error codes in two parts.
--->The Clean LED will first flash the function code, pause for 2 seconds then flash the problem code, pause for 5 seconds then repeat three times (unless advanced by the Start key to the next interval).
--->If there are no error codes the Clean LED will stay on solid for 5 seconds.

Jake

Attachments

• W10195613-Tech Sheet.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 29

dickfink

Premium Member
Thanks for the Tech sheet Jake. I ran the Service Diagnostic and got the following codes:

6-1: INLET WATER - Low/No Water (Mechanical Problem)
6-6: INLET WATER - Cool Water
8-1: DRAINING - Slow Drain

As far as I tell, it fills and drains OK but I suppose I have no idea what "normal" operation would actually look like.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, your getting false error codes then, your control board is malfunctioning, you will need a new control board.

Look here at this thread, same exact issue:
And you can see the new control board fixed it, your model uses this exact same control board. Whirlpool makes the Kenmore 665 dishwashers, and Whirlpool owns KitchenAid.

Here's the control board for your model you can order here:
WPW10352582 Cntrl-Elec

Jake

dickfink

Premium Member
Thank you Jake! That issue you linked to seems very similar to mine.
Interestingly I had the control board replaced recently in an attempt to solve this exactly problem, but the behavior persists.
Fortunately I was able to get in touch with the service provider and they agreed to come back out to investigate further.
I will report back with any insights from there end -- although maybe it is just a "bad" (new) board...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok sounds good, yes keep us posted.:)

Jake