• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Dishwasher KUDE70FXSS3 touch panel flaky operation

lemmy999

Premium Member
Model Number
KUDE70FXSS3
Brand
KitchenAid
I have a KUDE70FXSS3 that has had two problems for a while:

1. The hidden touch panel on the top of the door is somewhat flaky. Often I will try to push a button and it does nothing or maybe it looks as if it is trying to come on but is kind of flickering. Not flickering on an interval, but flickering like there is a bad connection. Then sometimes the buttons won't even work. But if I close the door all the way and wait a few seconds, then open it back up it will usually work fine.
2. The single status light on the front of the door (blue for wash, red for heat, green for finished) has an issue where the blue kept getting more dim until it finally stopped working. Red and Green are great.

The dishwasher completely died the other day and I took the door panel off and found that it was the thermal disc fuse that had tripped. While I was in there I looked at every connection on the control board, the control panel and the small LED status board. Every connection looked fine with no indication of heat or arcing but when I pushed on the blue LED for the status board it started working again, so I think it was a bad solder joint. I re-flowed the solder for the blue LED and it is working again, however it still seems to be dim. It only has 2 mA of current ( 0.2V across the 100 ohm series resistor) but is fairly dim at that current. The green LED has only 0.6mA and is very bright. However I am aware that different LEDs can be brighter/dimmer depending on the specific part.

However I couldn't find anything that would explain the finicky behavior of the touch panel. I have the service manual for the KUDE70FXSS5, and while there seems to be a few differences, I couldn't find anything in the wiring diagram that would explain why the door switch would seem to help get the touch panel working again. The door switch seems to prevent the heater relays form closing, the inverter from being enabled and the triac circuits from functioning, but I see no indications that it affects the touch panel on top.

The only odd things I found, although I don't think they would cause this problem are:

1. The main control board and its plastic housing was kind of loose inside of the door. The door had never been removed, yet the plastic tabs that hold it in place (see the red circles in the two attached images) seemed to be broken off. So I used a small #7 sheet metal screw to hold the panel in place (see the blue circles). It keeps it from flopping around inside but still doesn't do a great job of holding it in place. I wish I could come up with a better solution since the plastic housing for the circuit board does not seem to be available separately.

2. When I took the outer door panel off, there was a small amount of moisture in the area opposite of where the main board sits (so up toward the top, and above the main part of the insulation). This was evenly distributed moisture so I was thinking it might be some sort of condensation. My concern is that if moisture is in that location, it could also be in the area with the touch display. I'm just not sure how the moisture is getting in unless it is condensation. The air inside the door is warm, but that surface is cooled by the house AC, so I could see it being condensation. It didn't appear to be on any surface besides the top of the outer part of the door panel that I removed.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 18
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 17

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, it sounds like a short in your keypad control panel causing this problem.

Do this below:
- Unplug dishwasher or disconnect power.
- Disassemble door and disconnect keypad connection from control board or LCD display module.
- Verify all other connections to control board are made.
- Reassemble door, but do not close door.
- Plug in dishwasher or reconnect power.
- Wait at least 7 seconds for control board to power up completely.
- Close dishwasher door and monitor control board response:
A. If control board is OK, it will respond by turning on the drain motor for 2 minutes. Replace keypad and console.
B. If control board is not OK, it will not turn on drain motor. Wait for at least 10 seconds. If there is still no drain response, then replace control board or LCD display module (whichever one the keypad was connected to).

Here's the control panel console keypad assembly for your model you can order, if the drain motor turns on for 2 minutes:
WPW10481144 Panel-Cntl

Let us know what you find.

Jake

lemmy999

Premium Member
I'm sorry, I might not have been clear. Since I repaired the thermal disc issue, the dishwasher runs fine. I know the control board is ok as everything works fine and has never failed on any cycle. It is just that the console keypad is just flaky sometimes and has been that way for years. It has never failed to work, just wondering why it flickers sometimes and is "fixed" by closing the door and reopening it. It is not always a problem either, sometimes it works fine.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It has never failed to work, just wondering why it flickers sometimes and is "fixed" by closing the door and reopening it.
Nope, no correlation between the two.

Jake