• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KitchenAid Dishwasher KUDE70FXSS5 unresponsive with always on red and green Front Indicator light

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcd18

Premium Member
Model Number
KUDE70FXSS5
Brand
KitchenAid
After doing a load of dishes successfully and unloading the clean dishes after the Front Indicator Light turned green to indicate the cycle is complete, the dishwasher was found in an unresponsive state a few hours later. None of the control panel lights are on and nothing happens when pushing any of the buttons. There is power to the dishwasher as the Front Indicator Light is constantly on and both red and green are lit up. Please see the attached pics. In the pic of the front, it's hard to tell the color of the light, but in the one where I hold paper up to the light you can clearly see the red and green are both on. I tried to reset the control panel using the button press combination described online. I also cut the power at the circuit breaker for over 10 minutes. When power is restored, the dishwasher is in the exact same unresponsive state with the Front Indicator Light glowing both red and green.

I tried to find anyone having similar symptoms online, and no luck, so posting here in hopes of some help. Perhaps it's just too old and has had a good life, but would prefer to avoid junking it as it seemed the major mechanical pieces were in good working order. Appreciate any ideas.

Attachments

• front.JPG
    front.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 70
  • lights.JPG
    lights.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 86

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, it sounds like a short in your keypad control panel and thus also effecting the indicator light.

Do this below:
- Unplug dishwasher or disconnect power.
- Disassemble door and disconnect keypad connection from control board or LCD display module.
- Verify all other connections to control board are made.
- Reassemble door, but do not close door.
- Plug in dishwasher or reconnect power.
- Wait at least 7 seconds for control board to power up completely.
- Close dishwasher door and monitor control board response:
A. If control board is OK, it will respond by turning on the drain motor for 2 minutes. Replace keypad and console.
B. If control board is not OK, it will not turn on drain motor. Wait for at least 10 seconds. If there is still no drain response, then replace control board or LCD display module (whichever one the keypad was connected to).

Here's the control panel console keypad assembly for your model:
WPW10481144 Panel-Cntl

Jake

pcd18

Premium Member
Thanks for the info. I followed your steps to disconnect the keypad connection to the control board. Once power was restored, the red and green lights were still on. When I closed the door, the drain motor did run. So it sounds like I need to replace the control panel keypad (the WPW10481144 Panel-Cntl part you listed). Is this correct even with the red and green lights still on or is there still something to investigate related to the red and green lights always being on?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that is correct, the control panel keypad assembly is what you need to fix it.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.:)

Jake

pcd18

Premium Member
I replaced the control panel console keypad assembly and turned on power at the breaker. The Front Indicator Light is still showing the red and green lights simultaneously. BUT the keypad is now functioning and the different buttons light up when pressing them. We started a ProWash cycle, but the Front Indicator Light did not go to blue to indicate washing as it should. Going to see if the cycle runs successfully and if the Front Indicator Light changes at all. Is there a keypad combo for diagnostics or other things I can try to address the Front Indicator Light? I noticed that the Front Indicator Light and a small circuit board for the LED was replaced as its part of the control panel console keypad assembly. Thanks.

pcd18

Premium Member
The washing and drying cycles completed successfully. The indicator lights on the right side of the top edge control panel do change to different lights to indicate the different cycles including the clean light when done. The Front Indicator Light did not change at all and is still lit up red and green.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very weird, but at least now its working right?

I will need to ask Rick about the red and green light.

I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below.

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - W10455257 - Rev A.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 72

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Run the service diagnostics and check for error codes. Let the diagnostic cycle finish.

Invoking Service Diagnostics clears all status and last run information from memory and restores defaults. It also forces the next cycle to be a sensor calibration cycle.

Last run cycles and options returned to default (Normal cycle with Heated Dry option).

Last run delay returns to the lowest delay increment.

Calibration cycle may force an extra rinse to occur prior to Final Rinse (to assure clear water), then calibrates the OWI and the fill amount during the final rinse.

Operating state returns to Standby upon completing or terminating the Service Diagnostics Cycle.

Press any 3 keys in the sequence 1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3 with no more than 1 second between key presses.

Service diagnostic cycle will take about 23 minutes and has 25 intervals.

The diagnostic cycle starts with interval 25 and ends on interval 1.

Interval 25 turns on all the LED’s as a display test.

Intervals 24 – 23 – 22 and 21 are for error codes. The Clean (or Completed) LED will flash the error codes in two parts. The Clean LED will first flash the function code, pause for 2 seconds then flash the problem code, pause for 5 seconds then repeat three times (unless advanced by the Start key to the next interval). If there are no error codes the Clean LED will stay on solid for 5 seconds.

Interval 20 is a 10 second pause. The Hi-Temp LED will be on. Press the Hi-Temp key to clear the error codes. The Hi- Temp LED will blink twice to indicate the errors have been cleared.

Intervals 19 – 3 is the service diagnostic cycle.

Intervals 2 and 1 are for error codes found during the diagnostic cycle

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Rick!

Jake

pcd18

Premium Member
Ran through the service diagnostics and it returned a 10-3 which I found is a Drying Fan Error. So I took out the fan and sure enough the fan is corroded and fused frozen. I see WPW10469574 is the part I need. Is that correct? Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Oh my gosh, I forgot to see if you had the problematic door vent issue. It caught me off-guard because usually when that door vent corrodes the machine will fill then shut off, or fill and run for a short time then stop and shut off.

This has been a problem for a few years, if you search part WPW10469574 in our search box above, you will see many threads on this issue, but none with the red and green indicator light problem.

Start reading what bigbuck said at post#18 here:

Here it is for your model you can order:
WPW10469574 Vent

For others--->To access the vent assembly you will need a T-15 torx screwdriver: Remove 4 screws (long) across top of door, then remove 10 screws (short) on the sides, then the outer door panel pulls off.

So, it looks like you had 2 problems, the keypad assembly and now the door vent assembly.

Thanks Again Rick!

Jake

pcd18

Premium Member
I replaced the vent fan assembly and ran through the diagnostics again (actually ran through it twice). This time no errors. However, the Front Indicator Light is still always on with the red and green lights. No change to the red and green lights during the diagnostics or after it completed. They also came on immediately when power was restored to the dishwasher from the breaker.

Aside from the Front Indicator Light always showing red and green, it appears the dishwasher checks out ok at least from no errors showing up when running diagnostics.

Thanks for your help in getting this working again and finding/addressing diagnostic errors.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the new door vent fixed the error code 10-3.(y)

I'm still puzzled about why its showing red and green on the indicator light.

Rick have you run into this before on your service calls? I certainly haven't.

Jake

pcd18

Premium Member
I may try and get a cheap used Control Board and see how that goes. I'm thinking that has to be the only other piece that would cause the Front Indicator Light issue since the LED board was also replaced along with the Control Panel Keypad assembly.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, yes I agree, that's the only part left that would cause this.

Here's the OEM control board for your model:
W10866118 Cntrl-Elec

Jake

pcd18

Premium Member
I replaced the Control Board and ran diagnostics with no resulting errors. I am happy to report the Front Indicator Light is now working correctly. It is now only lit up to match the Control Panel top lights for the different status conditions represented by the different colors. So it was definitely a bad Control Board that worked in every other way aside from controlling the Front Indicator Light. As an FYI, on the old Control Board I removed the circuit board from the plastic housing and saw a blackened area on the housing and on the same place on the rear of the circuit board. Looks like some physical damage/burnout occurred and just happened to cause the Front Indicator Light to stay on continuously.

Thanks again for all the advice and info. Dishwasher has been saved from being thrown out.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent(y) I have never seen a bad control board cause that issue before, that's a first for me too!

You had 3 problems, the keypad assembly, door vent assembly, and control board.

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.