• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kitchenaid Dishwasher KUDG25SHBL1 motor not turning on

ShyGuy

Premium Member
Model Number
KUDG25SHBL1
Brand
KitchenAid
Lately, my dishwasher has been acting erratic.

It fills fine, but after filling, the motor doesn't turn on. I can hear what I believe are the relays in the control board clicking. If I leave it as is, the dishwasher will eventually progress to the drying cycle, and the elements will heat up. So, if it doesn't start up right away, I hit cancel. The cancel button will light up, and I can hear what sounds like a relay clicking but the motor still won't start. If I press the cancel button a few times though, I can usually get the motor to start up and drain. Then, I can restart the dishwasher, and it will work fine for a few washes before the problem repeats again.

The 6.5A motor pulls ~5A throughout a wash, so I don't think it is the motor.

Reading on this forum, I saw there is a diagnostic mode that can be accessed by pressing any three buttons 1-2-3 3x in quick succession. I have tried numerous times to no avail. No error codes ever flash on the panel, and all the lights act normal.

My other thought is the cap is bad, but I can't see the cap anywhere. Do I have to pull the dishwasher to access it?

Any ideas on how to more accurately diagnose the problem or what else could be the cause? Thanks!

EDIT: FWIW, I forgot to add that using an NCV probe, it appears voltage is making it to the motor and I can hear a slight hum from the motor, but the hum doesn't last very long.

Last edited:

ShyGuy

Premium Member
OK, just want to post back that I believe I found the problem.

This is a very old DW (circa 1999), but I found a video detailing how to take apart the impeller which after some more googling, I felt might be stuck and the cause of the problem.

I began dismantling the filter/impeller assembly and when I got to the impeller, it was stuck. At least, I couldn't turn it by hand. So I used a large crescent wrench to free it, and once I did so, it spun freely.

So rather than continue with disassembly to determine what was causing the sticking, I just quickly put it back together to test. Sure enough, it started up. Since I have a bunch of dirty dishes, I am going to run a load, but once those are done, I will be back into the unit to pull the impeller and clean out whatever is causing the problem.

It's nice being able to fix stuff for free, and wow, this DW is a trooper after more than 20 years!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to hear you got the motor unstuck. But in appliance repair once a part starts sticking it will continue to stick, the permanent solution is the replace the pump/motor assembly or buy a new dishwasher.

Here's the pump/motor assembly for your model:
Pump and Motor Assembly W10428773

This video shows you how to replace it:

Jake

ShyGuy

Premium Member
Jake,

Thank you as always for your expert advice and reply.

While I don't want to sound argumentative, I think the motor is fine. I consistently over many loads measure ~5A on the 6.5A rated motor, so replacing the motor at a cost of over $350 seems like the wrong solution.

I don't want to rule out the cap just yet, but I can't find it. I fear I have to pull the DW to test it? :(

Also, after running a couple of loads problem free, I removed the impeller and the other parts down to the chopper and cleaned the area really good of debris and other stuff that could be causing it to stick. Since then the DW has been operating problem free. We'll see if it sticks again.

However, in the process of doing all this, I noticed that there was a very small leak from beneath the motor. We are talking about one drip every 4 or 5 minutes or something like that. This has obviously been going on for a while judging from the water deposits on the motor casing and foundation floor. Fortunately, the leak is in the front where I could see it. Otherwise I am not sure I would have noticed it. My house is cement slab, so there is no flooring damage. Plus there was so much debris under there that it wasn't obvious there was a leak.

I ordered a new impeller/drain kit that comes with all new seals. I am still waiting for the part, but once it arrives, I will have all new seals, impeller and even chopper as it all comes in a kit.

I guess I should consider myself lucky that the leak hasn't shorted out the motor.

ShyGuy

Premium Member
So after installing the new impeller/drain kit with all new seals, the leak seems to be resolved. I am a little hesitant to say 100% because the leak was so small before that it could take a lot of loads before I notice a leak again. Plus, there is a much larger pump seal that I didn't replace that could also be the source of the leak. If I see the leak again, I will definitely be replacing that seal as well.

Also, whatever was causing the pump to stick before is likely resolved as well because there are basically all new parts in there now.

It wasn't the cheapest repair, but it hopefully killed two birds with one stone and was much cheaper than a new motor!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.(y)

Lets us know if it leaks anymore.

Jake