• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Dishwasher KUDS30IXBLA Not Filling With Enough Water

navagator

Premium Member
Model Number
KUDS30IXBLA
Brand
KitchenAid
I have a KitchenAid KUDS30IXBLA that doesn't seem to be filling with enough water. It's been making a chugging sound for quite some time and the dishes haven't been getting very clean. I thought this might be due to the control board failing as it's been systematically failing for the last year or so and finally burn't up a few weeks ago. I was lucky enough to find a new control board after much searching, they're very difficult to find. Unfortunately installing the new board didn't fix this problem. So, I decided to stick a camera inside the dishwasher and see what was going on. What I found was that the washer arms were only spinning intermittently, thus the chugging sound.

I've found that if I add a couple glasses of water to the tub the chugging sound quits and the spray arms rotate normally as they should. So I assume it isn't filling up with enough water. It fills just up to the heating element.

I checked the water inlet valve for water flow several times and the flow seemed fairly good, although it did slow down a little once for some reason.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong.

Thank you for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, Normal fill level should be about 1-2 inches below the heating element, if your water level is a lot lower than that, then yes replacing the water inlet valve should fix it.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model:
WPW10327249 Water Inlet Valve

If its filling properly, then next I'd first check your sump basin and chopper screen for clogs, also check the black flapper check valve in the video below as well.

Watch this video below first, Paul tells you what to check in the sump basin and chopper screen :

Check your chopper screen blade assembly to make sure its not broken also.

Here's the chopper screen assembly for your model:
Food Chopper Assembly W10083957V

Here's the video to check/change it:

Let us know what you find.

Jake

navagator

Premium Member
Thank you for your reply.

I checked the sump basin and everything seemed to be ok for the most part. The chopper was fine. The black flapper check valve seemed to be ok but not quite straight, it leans slightly to one side. I attached a couple of photos below. However I did notice that the spray arm seal/bearing or (clear plastic washer) that sits under the spray arm is missing, somewhere along the line I've lost that. Could that be causing the issue?

I did a load of dishes last night and added extra water at the beginning of each wash cycle and the dishes came out nice and clean.

100_1689.JPG

100_1692.JPG

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yuppers, that black rubber check valve flapper is bad, it should not be curved.

Here's the black rubber check valve for your model:
Check Valve WP8268375

Yes, you do need that clear lower spray arm bearing too.

Here's the wash arm bearing for your model:
WP8268340 Spray arm Bearing

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

navagator

Premium Member
Thanks for the info. Which do you think is more likely to be causing the problem, the check valve or the bearing? I'll replace both but maybe one now and the other next month if possible, that check valve is a little pricey.

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, its hard to say. Order the bearing first.

Jake