• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kitchenaid Dishwasher KUDS30IXSS0 flashes 6-4, float switch ok - what's next?

TJ808

Premium Member
Model Number
KUDS30IXSS0
Brand
KitchenAid
I have a 10 year old KUDS30IXSS0 that recently stopped working. It seems to fill, tries to start something 4 times (4 sounds like a motor trying to start up) and then drains. Flashes 6-4 after diagnostics. I removed and tested the overflow switch and it's fine, if I stop the machine before it drains there is water in the bottom so I am guessing the inlet valve is working. Guessing maybe the circulator pump is my next step - can anyone confirm that? I'll be reading more here in the mean time but would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Chris

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Check for 120 VAC at the motor after the fill cycle:

TJ808

Premium Member
I had some time for this today so I pulled out the machine to do some tests. I could not figure out how to get my meter on the motor without pulling the machine from under the counter, and in order to do that I had to disconnect the water as the line isn't long enough. I disconnected everything, flipped it and pulled the motor.

I was about to just order one and decided to bench test it instead. After making a quick power cord, I plugged it in and it fired right up. Spins freely, no bearing noise and feels fine. I even applied a little load to it and no issue whatsoever.

Not sure where to go next, I put it back together and hooked it back up, figuring I'd see if there was something I could tell with it partially out from under the counter. Much to my surprise it's now working fine! It started right up and ran through the cycle. I'm thinking either the motor is intermittent (didn't seem to be on the bench) or there was something binding it up. In any case, I am now back in business - at least for a while.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
or there was something binding it up.
I've seen hard water deposits and soap do that but only when there's long periods between wash cycles. Use a dishwasher cleaner and run it thru a couple wash cycles. Start the dishwasher on a regular wash cycle, empty and no soap. Listen for the fill valve to stop and then let it wash for one minute then open the door and check for soap bubbles on the water. If there is soap bubbles cut back on the soap.