• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kitchenaid Dishwasher KUDS35FXSS8 burning smell, no power

dougefresh

Premium Member
Model Number
KUDS35FXSS8
Brand
KitchenAid
This Kitchenaid Dishwasher KUDS35FXSS8 seems to be a recurring issue. I have a separate thread on this dishwasher for “Kitchenaid Dishwasher KUDS35FXSS8 - no power, can't find fuse location” posted 12/7/19 that was resolved. This time the issue seems much worse. I started a new thread because I wasn’t sure if it was proper to tag onto the old thread or just start a new one.

The dishwasher was running this evening and then a loud clunk occurred and then smoke could be seen escaping the side and top of the front door. A burning smell was very strong. I pulled the door opening to see if something had dropped onto the heating element, but I couldn’t find anything on the element. The dishwasher basin is full of soapy water. There is no power to the dishwasher either.

I removed the lower kick panel and verified 120 volts with a multimeter. The breaker in the electrical panel was not tripped. The previous thread Jake mentioned this model does not have a separate thermal fuse.

I’m wondering if a motor burned out? I now have a dishwasher with it’s basin full of water and with no power! Any suggestions on how to proceed with troubleshooting the problem please?! I’m wondering if the repair would be costly enough to just replace the unit?

Your response would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

That burn smell is right in the area of your control board. Turn the breaker off to your dishwasher and access the control board and see if you notice any burnt spots on the control board.

Here's the control board for your model:
Control Board W10479761

Watch this video below, it will show you how to get access to your control board:

Jake

dougefresh

Premium Member
Jake, IMG_20200311_194951.jpg
I tried accessing the electronic control panel from the front bottom kick panel. I wasn’t able to find the electronic control panel per that video provided. It looks as if my model may be situated differently? I didn’t see any burnt wiring in the vicinity though. Please see attached pics. I had to take 2 pics to get the left half and the right half, shot from the front side and down below. Is my electronic control panel in the same general location as the video for the other model?

The Control Board W10479761 p/n provided says that it's not compatible with my KUDS35FXSS8, but when I look for the control panel for the KUDS35FXSS8, it shows the picture of the control panel but with no p/n listed. Is the control panel p/n W10479761 you provided a replacement part? I wasn't sure since the Appliance Compatibility Tool says the W10479761 is not compatible.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20200311_195017.jpg
    IMG_20200311_195017.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20200311_195712.jpg
    IMG_20200311_195712.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 86

dougefresh

Premium Member
sorry Jake, i wrote "electronic control PANEL" on my previous reply, and it should be "electronic control BOARD". Is the electronic control board in the top part of the door for my KUDS35FXSS8 and not down under the dishwasher like the video? The smoke was coming from the sides and the top of the door, so if my control board is inside the upper/top part of the door could that still be the issue? Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No Doug, your control board, you accessed in your last thread here:
I fixed the video above for others to access it as well on this model.:)

Remove it and remove the circuit board from its plastic casing and look for burnt spots on it.:)

If you find no burnt spots on it, then check all your other parts and wring for anything that looks burnt, if you still find nothing then you'll need to have KitchenAid come out at 1-800-422-1230 and see what's going on.

Jake

dougefresh

Premium Member
Jake,

Thanks for the updated video link. It also has a link to the electronic control board location and how to get to it, along with the new electronic control board (Whirlpool# AP6039135, $261.05). I was able to locate the burned area and it was the control board, but unfortunately the wiring harness was totally fried (see attached pics). The wiring harnesses that have the small cover are totally burned…these are located on the far left of the control panel. I traced these wires down the front panel to under the dishwasher. One pair of wires looks like easy access, but the other pair runs back behind what I think is the drain pump along with others.

I assume I’ll need to replace the entire wire harness, unless splicing the wires below the control panel is acceptable. I wasn’t able to find the wire harness p/ns.

What would your further thoughts on this be? Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_20200312_204239_LI markup.jpg
    IMG_20200312_204239_LI markup.jpg
    541 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_20200312_204639.jpg
    IMG_20200312_204639.jpg
    440.1 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_20200312_204911.jpg
    IMG_20200312_204911.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 134

dougefresh

Premium Member
Jake,
I noted above that the new video linked to the new electronic control board part number (Whirlpool# AP6039135, Manufacturer p/n# W11035586) but the Appliance Compatibility Tool says it’s incompatible with Kitchenaid KUDS35FXSS8. I wasn’t able to find a replacement part number on appliancepartspros.com for the control board either.

Your help with the electronic control board and replacement wire harnesses is much appreciated! If you also have videos on how to replace the wiring that goes under the dishwasher, that would be helpful as well….if splicing is not acceptable. Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Doug, I see it burnt there very badly, good photos!

Their appliance compatibility tool isn't 100% accurate, but that is the correct control board for your model.

Look here at RepairClinic:

Here's the wire harness for your model:
Wire Harns

Jake

dougefresh

Premium Member
Jake, I finally got all the parts mailed and I just did the replacement of the electronic control board and wiring harness. Doing a test wash cycle now watching to make sure I made all the connections correctly on the re-install! So far so good, although I still get an intermittent leak from the front door at the lower right corner (looking face on). I'm guessing the door to seal interface made need cleaning or maybe is it the door seal getting worn? Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Doug, glad to new control board and wire harness fixed it. (y)

So far so good, although I still get an intermittent leak from the front door at the lower right corner (looking face on). I'm guessing the door to seal interface made need cleaning or maybe is it the door seal getting worn?
This is what you said in your first post--->The dishwasher basin is full of soapy water.

A oversudsing condition can make it drip water out the front.:)

Start a cycle with no dishes in it and no detergent in it and see if you still see suds in the water.

Jake

dougefresh

Premium Member
Jake,
I had the dishwasher basin full of soapy water after the control board/wiring got burned up and the dishwasher lost all power. I just assumed it didn't finish it's cycle. I don't think I get this situation on a normal wash cycle. I'm guessing the door seal but don't know. We try slamming the door closed and sometimes that works, which is was leads me to thinking it's the seal. I did run an empty cycle after the parts replacement and didn't have any water residue in the basin. Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Doug, The only thing I can suggest is replace the door seal.

Here's the door seal for your model you can order:
W10300924V Gasket

"HOW TO" Video included in part link.

Jake

dougefresh

Premium Member
Jake,
I'm going to do a thorough scrubbing around the door seal and the door to see if that works but the seal is probably wearing and will need to be replaced in the near future. Thanks for the part number and instl video. NIce job as always. Thank you.

Now I'm on to trying to fix my electric oven issue!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Doug, sounds good.:)

Jake

dougefresh

Premium Member
Jake,
The scrubbing of the door seal didn't work, so I ordering the new door seal (W10300924V Gasket) that you provided the part number for (thank you!).

I figured while I was replacing the door seal I would just replace the Lower Door Seal (WPW10497235) as well. That's the plastic cover plate looking seal that attached to the lower interior of the door. The lower seal fasteners were a pain to do because they were hidden! It took a little extra time for delivery due to that state of affairs we're in now, but I got both seals installed and had no leaks after a full cycle test run. Not sure which seal was the culprit but cleaned under both seals and removed some old crusty soap from the lower door seal (plastic piece). I'm guessing it was probably the main door seal.

Now I have to try and repair the water damaged cabinet from the leak....and then work on my electric oven issue (another thread). Thanks again for your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Doug, good job. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake