• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KitchenAid Dishwasher Model # KDTM354DSS4 - will not wash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilke

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTM354DSS4
Brand
KitchenAid
I have a KitchenAid Model # KDTM354DSS4 dishwasher (serial number F61937144). The dishwasher appears to fill with water and run through a wash cycle without washing the dishes. Yesterday, I spent some time researching and troubleshooting this issue.

After running the diagnostic mode, I have the following codes: 61, 71, and 81. After referring to the Service Bulletin behind the kick panel, I am confused by the codes. Tried to clear the codes and was not able clear them even though I followed the directions on the Service Bulletin.

After discovering this forum, it appears as though my model number may have the "problematic door vent" discussed in some other threads. Am I correct that my model uses this particular vent? If so it sounds like I need to disconnect the vent wires and run a wash cycle to either confirm the vent is the issue or not?

I am hoping that someone more experienced and smarter than me can weigh in and provide some guidance. It sounds like it could be many things causing my problem. I was hoping to proceed in a logical troubleshooting manner.

Thanks,

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, you are correct--->Your model has the problematic door vent that can cause this problem you are having.

Do this first--->Disconnect all the wire connectors to your door vent and see if it runs through a complete cycle AND a complete diagnostic cycle which takes about 23 minutes.

Start reading what bigbuck said at post#18 here:

Your model uses the exact same door vent. If it runs through a complete cycle and everything is back to normal, then order and replace the door vent assembly.

Here it is for your model you can order:
WPW10469574 Vent

To access the vent assembly you will need a T-15 torx screwdriver: Remove 4 screws (long) across top of door, then remove 10 screws (short) on the sides, then the outer door panel pulls off.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Wilke

Premium Member
Hi,

Thank you for confirming my thoughts.

After I disconnected the wires from the vent assembly, I tried to run the machine through a complete cycle. The machine would take water in and the soap dispenser dumped the soap. There was no wash action or rinse action.

Next, I ran it through a complete diagnostic cycle. This time I got the following codes:
6-1,
3-4 (I do not see this code listed on the chart), I checked it twice to make sure I read it correctly
10-3,
and 8-1

I am looking forward to additional thoughts and next steps!

Thanks,

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Are you sure its not 4-3? 4-3 is the wash motor not running.

The 10-3 is because you got the vent disconnected, so you can reconnect that back.

Lets next check the pump filter--->On these models there has been a problem with the pump filter breaking and jamming up the wash motor, thus you will hear little to no water spray out the spray arms. Id check that next.

Mike took lots of photos and documented them here:

Here's that pump filter you can order if needed:
Pump Filter W11084156

If not in-stock at RepairClinic, It's also here: W11084156

Also look at this thread:

Jake

Wilke

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Last night, I followed Mike's post and sure enough the Pump Filter was all messed up. I was hoping to buy the filter locally but Tribbles did not have it in stock and could only backorder it for me. Finally found a place that had 1 each in stock and ordered it via UPS. Hopefully, I will receive it Thursday afternoon and can get the dishwasher out of the middle of my kitchen floor.

Question: Will the codes clear themselves automatically once I replace the part or do I have to do that following the diagnostic procedure?

One other side note about the code 3-4 which is not on the technical sheet. I noticed there have been other posters with the same model dishwasher that have reported the "non-existent" 3-4 code. I think it might be an error in the document since it clearly should be a 4-3 code.

I will keep you and the board posted once I replace the part.

Many thanks for your guidance!

Bill

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Bill.(y)

Rick and I posted in posts 4 and 5 how to clear the error codes here:
I even attached your tech. data sheet in post #4 that you can download.

Yes, keep us posted on how it goes.

Jake

Wilke

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Here it is Saturday evening and I now have a working dishwasher! I received the Pump Filter part # W11084156 on Friday evening. It was easy to install the part following the video in Mike's post above.

One word of caution for amateurs like myself - Do not hesitate to tighten down the screw-on hose clamps. I thought I had tightened mine down good. I noticed a slight leak when I ran the diagnostics again and had to pull the dishwasher back out to retighten the hose clamp screw another 1/4 turn. Life is good now - dishwasher cleaning dishes and no dishwasher lying on its back in the middle of the kitchen floor.

Thank you so much for guiding me through this process!

Bill

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Bill, good job, glad to hear the new pump filter fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update and the added information about the hose clamps!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.