• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid electric oven KEBS109BSS01: bottom element testing and replacement

Fieldwolf

Premium Member
Model Number
KEBS109BSS01
Brand
KitchenAid
Hi, Jake and team!

I have been long struggling with the strange behavior of KitchenAid KEBS109BSS01. Having ruled out the thermal sensor and the top heating element, my current hypothesis is that the bottom (hidden) baking element is faulty. One reason to believe it is that bread proof, which only uses the bottom element, doesn’t heat up

Questions:
0. What’s the best way to validate whether it’s working or not (given it’s hidden)?
1. How do I get to it?
2. What could be wrong with it (I suspect wiring or the element itself - but is there anything else)? How do I test for it?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Let go back to your previous thread here:

What was the final outcome?

Jake

Fieldwolf

Premium Member
Let go back to your previous thread here:

What was the final outcome?

Jake

It wasn’t much to write home about. I took the oven out, tested the thermal sensor the broiling element and they both showed what they needed to show. So I reassembled everything again. The oven still showed unstable temp patterns, and I was watching it, but kind of gave up.

Two new developments happened recently:
1. My wife told me bread proofing function is not working. What’s happening is you push the “bread proof” button and the oven gives you one beep as if the temperature is already 100F and them does nothing. Calibrating the sensor up or down doesn’t affect this behavior.
2. This prompted me to check the bottom heating element. And it looks like it’s just not working. Hence my question above.

In summary:
- temperature ebbs and flows
- cooking time, especially baking time, has been longer
- bread proof does nothing
- bottom element doesn’t seem to heat up

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm posting the hidden bake element part number and video below for your model.

--->Remember to disconnect power to the wall oven first and you will need a helper to help you pull it out of the wall per the video.

Once you get the bake element out check for bad or burnt spots on it and ohm test it per the video below.

Here's the hidden bake element for your model you can order, if needed:

Here's the video to access it:

Here's the video to ohm test it:

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Fieldwolf

Premium Member
Thank you, Jake. I will keep you posted. What could be the reason for such behavior of the bread proofing?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You did ohm test the thermostat in the back exterior of the oven too?

Here it is for your model:
Thrmst-Fix WP4449751

If the thermostat in the back exterior of the oven ohm tests good and the lower heating ohm tests good, the only part left that controls the heating of the oven is the Appliance Manager.

Here's the Appliance Manager for your model:
whirlpool-goc-minerva-ka-wpw10317343-ap6019397_02_m.jpg

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What could be the reason for such behavior of the bread proofing?
Either the lower bake element or the Appliance Manager I just posted above, if the thermostat in the back exterior of the oven ohm tests good.

Jake

Fieldwolf

Premium Member
See what I found…. It’s the wire that leads to lower bake element. The element tests ~20 Ohm
8F5E6A15-81F3-4EF5-9EC5-2FB1D49DDC0B.jpeg

Fieldwolf

Premium Member
Ok, so it’s truly a gift that keeps on giving. Here’s the rundown:
  1. The lower baking element tests at 20 ohm. I did not visually test it (as I saw the broken wire), which in hindsight maybe I should have
  2. The high temp thermostat on the back shows continuity and 0 ohm
  3. The wire to the lower baking element was broken, which I have fixed with a wire nut
  4. However, when I reassembled it and turned it on, here’s what’s happening.
    1. The lower baking element now seems to be always on.
    2. If I turn the oven off completely (breaker) and turn it on again, it keeps warm.
    3. If I turn the oven to bake to eg 200 degrees, it will keep heating up past it, even though it will beep and the display will show it’s up to 200 (so the thermal probe seems to be ok). If I turn it off at this point by pushing “stop”, it will keep hot.
Having read up a bit about it, it sounds there are still the same potential culprits: baking element itself (shorted to the cabinet?j, high fix thermostat, and the control board. How would you go about it, Jake? And how would you test between a heating element shorted to the cabinet and a control board failure? I would love to fix the one thing that’s broken, not all things

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, good job fixing that broken wire to the heating element.(y)

Did you ohm test the oven sensor?

Measure the resistance of the oven sensor at room temperature. Your meter should indicate about 1050 to 1100 ohms.

Watch this video to ohm test it:

For others following your thread: Disconnect power to the wall oven, then inside the oven you will see the oven sensor in the back, remove the 2 screws that hold it in place and slowly pull it towards you and then you will see a connector that goes to it, remove the connector and ohm test it.

Here's the oven sensor for your model:
Temperature Sensor WP74008369

If your oven sensor ohms good, then the only part that would cause this new problem is the Appliance Manager which I posted the link in post #6 above.

And that's a good chance because I see where that heating element red wire arched and burnt the metal near where that wire broke, that would cause the Appliance Manager to short out and keep the heating element ON all the time now.

Jake

Fieldwolf

Premium Member
I have tested the probe a month ago and it tested right (1023 Ohm or something). I also have an analog thermometer and I saw that when the oven preheats, the temp it shows on display is the same-ish that the thermometer shows

Also, I have never paid attention to it before, but there is an “ON” indicator on the digital display (on the left side, next-ish to the picture of the oven). What does it indicate? That it’s currently heating?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Also, I have never paid attention to it before, but there is an “ON” indicator on the digital display (on the left side, next-ish to the picture of the oven). What does it indicate? That it’s currently heating?
Take a photo of it and upload it here so I can see.

Jake

Fieldwolf

Premium Member
Here it is, right under "Lo" (pic from internet). Mine is unplugged rn, but I noticed that the "on" indicator was on all the time when it was baking, even when it got to the right temp
1651859335904.png

Fieldwolf

Premium Member
Also, Appliance Part Pros seem to be out of stock for the control board :eek: any other place you would recommend that doesn't charge an arm and a leg? Any chance that a board like this can be found in a local store? And what type of store, if yes?

Thank you so much for all your help!!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your can try a local appliance parts store in your area to locate that board.

Jake