• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid electric oven with microwave KOCE507ESS11 door error, door tension?

jamg

Premium Member
Model Number
KOCE507ESS11
Brand
KitchenAid
We've recently been getting a door error for the microwave, but we noticed that if we held the door shut it worked fine. From reading on here I decided to try to replace the door switches.

When I tested the switched all of them tested good, but I went ahead and replaced the two on the right side, I'm ordering another for the left. Testing the original switches all three tested good and the physical switch all had good movement. Watching closely while closing the door all the switches all engage, but appear to immediately disengage as you can see and hear the click and immediate click again.

Is there a way to adjust the tension so the door remains latched? Or is there some other adjustment I'm missing?

The only thing I see readily would be to find a weaker spring on both sides where the switches are, or replacing the door hinge (https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Door-Hinge/W10874474/4459956)

Thank you.

Last edited:

jamg

Premium Member
So playing with a couple of variations.

I noticed that on the left side there are two places for the switch, but only one is present. The rear switch position appears to engage sooner than the front position, so I moved the left switch to the rear switch position.

I removed the springs on both sides that returns the plastic piece that presses the switches. When removing both springs the door closes and all the switches stay engaged. When the left side spring is removed the tab that actuates the switch does not return into position, but the right side does with the safety/actuator rod. Confirmed that the microwave functions fine.

While the left switch in the rear switch position I replaced the spring only on the left side. The door closes and switches stay engaged. Confirmed that the microwave functions fine here.

Replaced the spring on the right side with two switches. At this point it appears that the spring strength on both sides does not allow the door to remain closed. Microwave light stays on, but gives door error.

At this point, I'm about to leave the spring only on the left side with the left side switch to the rear switch position and button it up. Other than the springs causing too much resistance for the door to close, I'm wondering if this oven/microwave combo needs to be installed with a front lip to tilt the unit back slightly to provide some assist in keeping the door closed.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Rick has been out sick since Jan.12th with a serious illness, we are hoping and praying for a speedy recovery!

Rick is our Microwave expert, so unfortunately you'll have to wait for him to return or hopefully another tech. or member can help you here.

Jake

jamg

Premium Member
In the face of serious illness this is really extremely minor in the grand scheme of things. Rest well Rick! Get well soon.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks! Rick will appreciate you said that when he returns.:)

Jake

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member

If it is less than a year old, it should be under warranty in which case you shouldn't be tampering with it at all. Doing so could void any warranty on it.

I looked up that model and have never seen anything like ti so couldn't offer any suggestions on what might be the problem.

g/l

Dan O.