• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Electric Range/ Double Oven - "Cooktop On" light stays on constantly

ACW3

Premium Member
Model Number
KFED500ESS
Brand
KitchenAid
Jake...thanks so much for your help on my dishwasher....now its time to address a nagging little issue with our KitchenAid stove. Not sure of the model number as it has been rubbed off in a cleaning...but it is a 6-7 year old model which is exactly like KFED500ESS. The "cooktop on" light would occasionally flicker and now it stays illuminated constantly. Any thoughts on what this could be? I'm assuming a control panel electrical issue...Appreciate any help.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, that's usually caused by a faulty burner sensor, but without the exact model number its impossible to look up your parts for it.

Jake

ACW3

Premium Member
Any suggestion on how to get the model number since the label has been scrubbed too much to read it?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Unfortunately not.

Let me see if I'm understanding this correct, is it the COOKTOP ON light or the SURFACE HOT INDICATOR light that stays ON?

If the COOKTOP ON light, which light is staying on for which burner?

Jake

ACW3

Premium Member
I"m going to do some digging here in a few minutes as I believe I still have the owner's manual from our purchase...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, if COOKTOP ON is always ON, One of the switches for the elements has a shorted contact. Remove the back of the control panel to access the switches. Then disconnect power to the range, then look on the switch for the terminal marked P1 or P. Remove that wire from each switch, one at a time, until the light goes out.

Once you locate the bad burner switch--->Read the part number from the burner switch itself and post it here.:)

Jake

ACW3

Premium Member
Excellent! I will give this a shot this afternoon after work and report back! Thanks a ton, Jake!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your welcome.:)

Jake