• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Five Drawer Refrigerator KRMF706ESS01 - not cooling in refrigerator section

AppliancePete

Premium Member
Model Number
KRMF706ESS01
Brand
KitchenAid
Make: KitchenAid
Model: KRMF706ESS01

I have a fridge of many symptoms… trying to isolate.

Almost immediately after the fridge was installed, it had an icing issue and KitchenAid sent out a technician who ordered a new fan and damper motor, but ended up replacing the control board. He also moved the temp sensor lower down on the evaporator per a KitchenAid bulletin. I have the new fan and damper.

Since then, the fridge has iced up a couple of times, but each time we would turn off the cooling, put igloo blocks in the fridge compartment allow it to thaw, and then turn cooling back on. I blamed it on my wife who has no issue putting hot food in the fridge - like soup…. We had a bad fridge before, so we have a monitor that we watch - before the food goes bad.

Recently, the evaporator fan stopped blowing, so I took everything out of the fresh food compartment and disassembled basically everything to replace it. The new fan doesn’t work either.

I reviewed the schematic, and the voltage from the power supply board matches the specifications. However, the constant voltage for the fan measures as 12.7v vs. the 14v called for on the schematic.

The other connections measure out at 12.7 consistent with the specification.

So - it’s the control board right? It seems odd to me that they would boost the voltage there instead of in the power supply. Can anyone confirm that it should in fact be 14v? This could also explain the prior behavior as the dc to dc converter was going bad and there was not enough voltage to run the fan.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below, it says 12.7 volts for the refrigerator evaporator fan motor.

Here's the FRESH FOOD EVAPORATOR FAN MOTOR video for your model:
Evaporator Fan Motor W11087438

Look here too:

Jake

Attachments

• W10844356-RevA.pdf
    516.1 KB · Views: 30

AppliancePete

Premium Member
Right - replaced the fan, and it does not run. Looking at the spec sheet, between pins 6-7 on header 14, there should be 14vdc. When I check it with a meter, I’m only getting 12.7.

The other connections, 2-3, and 3-4, measure out at 12.7 - which matches the spec sheet.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I know its confusing that it says 14 Volts DC on the fan motor, but the tech. data sheet says it should only get 12.7 Volts DC.

Connector P14 pins 3 and 4 is the voltage to that fan motor, use your meter AT that fan motor and see if you get 12.7 Volts DC, tape the door switch closed first.

Its the YL(YELLOW) and RD(RED) wires at that fan motor.

Jake

AppliancePete

Premium Member
It tests out to 12.6v. Neither fan turns when plugged in to the connector.

I can hear the other fans running when I turn them all on using the service menu.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 33

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Then you must have bad connector pins, look inside the connector and see.

If you find nothing wrong, then you will need to have KitchenAid come out to investigate.

Jake