• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid free standing KUIX505EBS0 makes a couple batches of ice and stops

bondurch

Premium Member
Model Number
KUIX505EBS0
Brand
KitchenAid
Hello.. I have an ice maker that just stopped making ice. I did a clean, replaced the filter and restarted. It will make a couple batches of ice then stops production. There is still water flowing across the plate and the water is cold but no ice production on the plate. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

I have searched the forum and read many threads but i do not see may posts for this model KUIX505EBS0.

bondurch

Premium Member
Hello all,
I would like to add a few more comments to my post. After running diagnostics a few times using the (Service technician sheet: see attachment) I am seeing some inconsistency on step5. With an empty, clean and dry ice maker, at step 5 the water never runs, I'm not sure it is supposed to? However, the Max ICE LED is on Solid indicating a full reservoir, but there is no water in the system. Does this result show that there is a a bad "touch sensor" as stated in the component section? If so what and where is the touch sensor?

My last comment is about the drain pump at the base of the water reservoir. There is a water leak around that piece and wondering if this is where the touch sensor is located and the root of the problem? See picture.

Attachments

• Drain Pump.png
    Drain Pump.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 62
  • Service tech guide.jpg
    Service tech guide.jpg
    394.8 KB · Views: 59

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
@wobiii is very good at these units, hopefully he can assist you.

Its does sounds like possibly a water level sensor issue, the water level sensor on this model seems to be integrated in the pump assembly:

This video should give you the general idea of how to access it:

Check the electrical connectors on it and see if they are corroded causing this problem.

Jake

bondurch

Premium Member
@wobiii seems to be good at all of these models. Its very nice of him to be so open with his knowledge of these Ice Makers...

Chuck

wobiii

Appliance Tech
It's talking about the water level sensor. When water it touching it it runs and when it's not it's going into harvest. It's built into the pump on these and they are miserable to diagnose because all you can really do is throw parts at it. Parts monkeying the pump is the first step I think, these are hard to nail down. Everything on these is a problem too though and it's almost impossible to tell them apart. I'd start with the pump, then the control and some of these had control and water valve kits. All I can really do is tell you about them, and go from there. You may need to contact a local who is good with these or good to deal with in the diag process. It sucks and I have people that think I'm an idiot because they own these machines with problems like this.

It also could be a leaking water valve adding water and keeping the temp from freezing. After rereading the first post I might try the valve first. Also make sure your condenser fan is running, I've seen bad fans burn out compressors on these. That would cause a not cold enough to freeze condition like you are describing.

bondurch

Premium Member
Thank you for your response wobiii. I am doing exactly as you stated in the first paragraph. One thing i forgot to mention is that the unit is tiled in or blocked by tile. So i am starting with the pump first then will try the water valve. If those do not work then i am removing tile and pulling the unit and tossing it out the window.

I will let you know how the unit responds to the pump replacement. Fingers crossed.

Chuck

bondurch

Premium Member
Parts arrived today. I replaced the pump and we are making ice again! It’s been running for 3 hours and still producing. Thank you for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the new pump fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Thanks also @wobiii for helping too.:)

Jake

bondurch

Premium Member
Well it’s a not so fast scenario. Now it’s making ice, but thin ice and I believe it’s the fan not turning on. the compressor and fan turn on or run in diagnostic mode but not in regular ice making mode. I’m leaning to a motherboard, but would love to try something else that is cheaper!😄

if I put a fan in front of the ice maker it does just fine….

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I always check for 120 volts at the condenser fan motor when it should be running, while the compressor is running. If your meter does not read 120 volts, then check your wire harness first and that's good, then only part left is the control board.

Here's the control board for your model:
whirlpool-cntrl-elec-w11034363-ap6277975_01_l.jpg

Jake

bondurch

Premium Member
Working on pulling the components out the front door of the ice maker so I can inspect the mother board…. Everything is loose, but the component box is hanging up on the evaporator, I think?. I will loosen the front screws of the evaporator and try to wiggle it out later. it’s time to honor our fallen soldiers with a whiskey and a prayer, then go eat some hot dogs!
Happy Memorial Day weekend.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Happy Memorial Day weekend.
Thanks! Same to you and your family!

Working on pulling the components out the front door of the ice maker so I can inspect the mother board…. Everything is loose, but the component box is hanging up on the evaporator, I think?. I will loosen the front screws of the evaporator and try to wiggle it out later.
Ok sounds good, let us know how it goes.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
How's it going Chuck?

Jake

bondurch

Premium Member
Waiting for parts. On BO at many supply stores, but i finally found one. I will let you know the results.

bondurch

Premium Member
Update... The part (New Control Board) finally came in from Sears Parts out of Ca, the only place that had boards in stock. Installed the new board and boom another issue, it would not circulate water. I suppose they sent me a bad board, the part has been returned and $ refunded.

I ended up installing the old board and it's still struggling to produce ice. The unit makes 3 or 4 good batches then the unit starts making thin ice to no ice. Looks like everything is working properly, pump, drain, fan, etc., but its not able to cool the evaporator after a couple hours of use.

So now that puts focus on the sealed system. Can that be charged with freon or tested from the front access of the unit or does the unit need to be pulled.

I am welcome to any other suggestions.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So now that puts focus on the sealed system. Can that be charged with freon or tested from the front access of the unit or does the unit need to be pulled.
That I don't know Chuck, I have not done any sealed system repairs on stand alone ice makers.

@wobiii maybe able to answer that for you.

Jake

bondurch

Premium Member
I see the valve gas copper tubing see image, maybe this can be tapped into to add freon?

Attachments

• IMG_2472.JPEG
    IMG_2472.JPEG
    411.5 KB · Views: 37

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If coming off the low side of the compressor, then yes.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.