• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kitchenaid Freezer defrosting - diagnosis help

arrniej

Premium Member
We have a KitchenAid side-by-side refrigerator/freezer (model KSRB22FKSS01) that has recently had the freezer defrosting. The problem comes and goes - if we do nothing the freezer will eventually refreeze. If we slide the freezer control to off and then back the compressor will kick back in.

I've spent plenty of time trolling this site for folks with similar problems and it seems that the problem is likely either with the compressor start unit or with the defrost control board.

I measured the resistance across the bimetal thermometer when cold and when warm and it appears to be working fine (closed when cold, open when warm).

So the question I have is - what do I do next to diagnose which part(s) I need to replace to fix the problem?

Thanks!

Jon

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

arrniej

Premium Member
Thanks Jake.

Its not 100% clear to me what part I need to order. It seems that the relay is the single pieces plugged into the side of the compressor. I see both a "start device kit", part number 1177466 and a compressor relay and overload kit, part number 586234. The start kit seems more likely since one or two of the pieces looks like what I think I'm supposed to replace but I don't know what all the other parts are in it.

Also - probably outside of the scope of this board, but since the refrigerator is within its "limited warranty" period where parts are covered by not labor, does anyone know if its KitchenAid will pay for replacement parts replaced by a lay person? I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but figured I'd ask the question anyways.

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member