• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

Kitchenaid fried HV transformer + ???

digger02

Premium Member
Hi,

I have a KitchenAid KHMC107BAL-4 microwave 850W from 1995 that died in a spectacular fashion, one symptom was the burning tape and insulation on the HV transformer. When I took it apart, the HV transformer was fried and smoking. I changed out the transformer - a 6010W2H030A. The grounding wire on the capacitor was melted through - so I changed the wire, but not the capacitor. There was also a broken piece of ceramic lying in the bottom of the micrwave - I don't know where it came from - but it looked like an electrical part - maybe a diode ? Anyway, any idea where the diode is in this microwave - could it be destroyed in a way that causes an HV transformer fire, and is there anything else I should check to try to get this microwave working again ?

Thanks

Dave

digger02

Premium Member
More info on problems

I read a little more here - does the diode go on the wire that ran from the one side of the HV capacitor to the metal base of the inside of the microwave ? I had a bare melted wire in that location - did there used to be a diode on this wire ?

Thanks

Dave

digger02

Premium Member
microwave fixed

changing the HV transformer and putting a diode to the frame fixed the old microwave....

Thanks to this site for all its help