• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Gas Range KGSA906PSS02 Bake/Broil won't stay lit

mcousins

Premium Member
Model Number
KGSA906PSS02
Brand
KitchenAid
Hello. I checked the other threads but my symptoms don't match exactly.

The original problem was that neither bake nor broil would start at all. Using troubleshooting information from here and the KitchenAid manuals, I found that one side of the gas valve measured infinite resistance (open circuit); the other side was to spec. I ordered and installed a new valve.

Now, after powerup and selecting either Broil or Bake, I hear the gas valve solenoid click, I see ignition sparks, and the burner lights. It stays on for 3-10 seconds or so then the gas is switched off. After that, it will not relight (no gas or spark). Switching the oven off at the control panel and trying again produces nothing. However, if I cycle power to the range, I'll get the behaviour mentioned: the oven burner will light for a short time then switch off.

The cooktop burners work fine but of course they aren't "switched" by the gas valve nor are they under control by the DSI or control board.

I removed the new gas valve and checked the solenoid coil resistance and it's 206 ohms on each side.

Ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Was it working perfect before this new problem started after you replaced the gas valve?

If you found one side of the gas valve with the open circuit, the new gas valve should of fixed it, if this new problem was not happening before.

Where did you buy the gas valve at? It sounds like its defective.

Here's the gas valve for your model:
WP9763716 Gas Valve

Read page 24 in this troubleshooting flowchart: www.applianceblog.com/manuals/DSI_manual.pdf

Jake

mcousins

Premium Member
I guess I was not as clear as I should have been.

Before installing the new gas valve, I had no function on Bake or Broil. No spark, no gas. As I mentioned, I removed the old valve and one side measured open circuit. Based on that, I ordered a new valve, exactly as you described.

Before installing the new valve, I measured the solenoid coil resistance. It was 206 ohms on each side.

After installing the new valve, pressing Bake or Broil produces gas, spark, and flame for perhaps 10 seconds. After that, the gas is switched off. Pressing Bake or Broil again produces no response. If I cycle power to the range, I again get one 10-second (sometimes less) flame event when pressing Bake or Broil.

It's acting like the range doesn't "think" that the burner lit, so it cuts off the gas. And it's the same for both Bake and Broil.

As a check, I removed the new gas valve and checked its resistance; it is in spec on both sides. I can hear the solenoid actuating the first time I press Bake after range powerup, but after about 10 seconds I hear another click as the solenoid is switched off.

I for sure have the correct valve and I don't think it's defective. I think the problem lies in the DSI or power board. (It looks like power boards for this unit are no longer available.)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.