• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KitchenAid Gas Range KGSS907SSS03 Bakes but convection bake doesn't get to temp

GaryDK

Premium Member
Model Number
KGSS907SSS03
Brand
KitchenAid
Hi,

Our gas range will not complete the pre-heating stage when Convect Bake is selected. It was set to 325 and it got up to about 300 but then just stayed there. The familiar "pop" of the gas igniting wasn't happening.

The display showed Pre-Heating, and the little circle above the F was flashing. Convect bake is my wife's favorite mode and this has happened several times in the past. Sometimes cycling the electric breaker helps but not today and it's getting old as we were trying start baking a turkey.

After trying the power cycle, we decided to try using just traditional bake and it has heated up and is maintaining 350. The gas ignition is working fine.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Gary

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Gary,

You have a convection element that may not be working, thus causing this issue.

Here's the parts diagram for your model:
Its #19 in the parts diagram and parts list, its circular and located in the oven in the middle back where your convection fan is located.

Here's the convection element for your model:

You will need a multimeter to ohm test it.

Watch this video to ohm test it:

Make sure you unplug your range first before removing the wires to the convection element and ohm testing it.

To get access to it you will have to pull the range out from the wall, then unplug it, then remove the rear back access panel and the convection element terminals should be located in the back middle of the back of the oven.

Jake

GaryDK

Premium Member
Jake,

Thanks for the reply. I was able to get into the range today, taking off the rear panel and measured the resistance of the convection element. It reads 10 ohms. I trust the reading; using a good Fluke multi-meter.

Perhaps I wasn't clear as to what was happening. Sometimes, and only sometimes, when convect bake is selected, we hear the gas "pop" and the temp starts to rise but it will stop short of the selected temp. Say we select 350 and it might go to 250 and remain in the "Pre-Heating" mode, per the panel display, but we notice that the gas "pops" stop. Then again, it "SOMETIMES" works perfectly in the convect bake mode.

Any ideas? Thanks,

Gary

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Nope Gary, I don't know where that "pop" is coming from. I would need to come out to investigate that. Since I'm across the country its best to have a KitchenAid tech. come out to your house to see what's going on.

And with it being intermittent like that, that will be very difficult to nail down just on the forum here.

Contact KitchenAid at 1-800-422-1230 and they will send a tech. out.

Jake

GaryDK

Premium Member
Jake,

The "pop" I'm referring to is the gas lighting in the burner. That is normal for this oven. It has popped like that since the day we first installed it.

So when the oven stays in Pre-Heating mode, the burner is not lighting because I don't hear any ignition pops. In the past, cycling A/C power alleviated the failure but it didn't this past Saturday.

I was thinking that it could be a control issue, especially since the oven worked in normal bake mode this past Saturday.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Got it!

When you first turn on the oven to convection bake, do you see the spark clicking where the burner is at? But no gas comes out to make it pop?

Jake

GaryDK

Premium Member
Gotta say that I don't recall it NOT popping when first lighting the oven in convection mode but we will pay attention now. You're referring to the burner in the bottom, right? Won't it be hard to see under the oven's bottom cover? I don't think that it is initially NOT sparking, though, as the temp does rise but stops short of attaining the desired temp.

And wouldn't you know. I put it all back together and we tried the Convection Bake to cook for dinner and it worked just fine.

Gary

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You're referring to the burner in the bottom, right? Won't it be hard to see under the oven's bottom cover?
Here's the parts diagram for your model:
#9 is the lower bake burner spark ignitor.
#10 is the lower bake burner tube.

Yes, you'd need to remove oven floor panel to get access to it. There is a video when you click the bake burner tube that gives you the general idea of how to access it.

And wouldn't you know. I put it all back together and we tried the Convection Bake to cook for dinner and it worked just fine.
Interesting Gary, so it must of been a loose connection?

Jake

GaryDK

Premium Member
Yes, you'd need to remove oven floor panel to get access to it. There is a video when you click the bake burner tube that gives you the general idea of how to access it.
Thanks. We'll keep an eye on it for a bit and get back to you if w
Interesting Gary, so it must of been a loose connection?
Not sure. I checked all the connections I could get access to with the rear cover removed, very few, and they seems all tight.

I guess I'll wait and see if it lights every time or it doesn't. I'll get back to you when things change.

Thanks for your help. I understand, intermittent problems are a pain to fix. Full failures are much easier!

Gary

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Gary, sounds good.(y)

Jake