• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid KDFE104DSS4 run cycle water circulation issue

DIYJC

Premium Member
Model Number
KDFE104DSS4
Brand
KitchenAid
I have a KitchenAid KDFE104DSS4 dishwasher, about 3 years old. Dishes not getting clean. At first I though it was a filling issue, but I tested the water inlet valve, float switch, and door latch and all check out. Cleaned out all the filters and sump from the inside as best I can. Washer is now filling just fine, but it doesn't appear there's any circulation or water coming out of the spray arms. I have run the system diagnostic several times and no errors are showing.

After research, everything seems to be pointing towards the circulation pump. I removed the circ pump wire harness and tested 120VAC when the pump is supposed to click on during the wash cycle so I think it's getting proper voltage. With the machine disconnected, i tested the pins on the circ pump and am not reading any continuity (0L on my digital meter means infinite resistance right?). I would like to take the circ pump apart and check for some debris or junk that might be jamming it up but its unclear if I can do that on this model?

Questions:
1. is there another way of testing the circ pump? Does it need to be removed and completely isolated from the machine in order to do the resistance test?
2. Can the circ pump be removed and taken apart to check for blockage in a way that it can then be re-installed?
3. Is it possible to have a circ pump failure issue and not register any error codes in the diagnostic?
4. Should I go ahead and order a replacement circ pump or is there a potential other problem/diagnostic I should do perform first?

thx

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
1. is there another way of testing the circ pump?
The motor could be directly connected to power to see if it ran but if the pump motor has no continuity, it is definitely defective.

DIYJC said:
2. Can the circ pump be removed and taken apart to check for blockage in a way that it can then be re-installed?
Yes but that wouldn't result in the meter reading you reported. If it was just jammed up, the motor should still have some resistance. If the motor has no resistance at all, it is defective.

DIYJC said:
3. Is it possible to have a circ pump failure issue and not register any error codes in the diagnostic?
That I don't know I'm afraid.

DIYJC said:
4. Should I go ahead and order a replacement circ pump or is there a potential other problem/diagnostic I should do perform first?

There is nothing in the machine that could cause the motor to burn out. It could burn out due to being jammed up but if you replace the whole sump and motor asm. any jam would be irrelevant when replacing the assembly.

The motor is available separetly but the whole sump and motor assembly is not that much more expensive. Replacing the whole assembly would likely make the repair easier.

LINK > W10885542 Pump and Motor (has repair video)

LINK > WPW10605057 Sump & Motor Asm.

The pump and motor details page linked above has a repair video that might help with the job.

Dan O.

DIYJC

Premium Member
thanks Dan. just to clarify, it's ok to test the circ pump for continuity while connected to to the assembly? It doesn't need to be isolated?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
DIYJC said:
just to clarify, it's ok to test the circ pump for continuity while connected to to the assembly? It

Yes, as long as the wiring is disconnected from the motor. It can still be physically mounted in the machine while testing.

Dan O.