Kitchenaid KDTE104DSS0 - Express Wash works but Normal doesn't?

doorman1600

Model Number
KDTE104DSS0
Brand
KitchenAid
Hi,

I'm normally pretty adept at fixing these things but this one has been tricky.

I noticed that sometimes the soap was not dissolved and general wash quality didn't seem good.

I've removed and cleaned all the arms, replaced the heating element, replaced the water inlet valve, and replaced the control board, but I still have this problem:

If I run Express Wash, the unit fills and if I open mid cycle and I can see a ton of water coming down from both lower and upper arms. However on Normal Wash, it seems as though water is never sent up to the arms. The soap does dissolve and it certainly seems hot in there, but the cycle doesn't seem to be running properly (no actual wash is occurring). I figured this was a control board problem (since on Express the water is sent through the arms) but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Any idea on what to look at here? I'm at a bit of a loss.

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi doorman1600,

It's most likely a bad wash motor, this has become a common problem as of late, many members here have reported the same, and I had 2 myself that did this same thing a few months ago here in my area in Parker, Arizona, and I replaced the complete wash motor assembly which includes the sump and wash motor and diverter motor already installed for you. And both worked great after I ordered and replaced complete wash motor assembly on both of mine I had.:)

Look at post #7 here: FIXED 665.13472N411 What to check on why it only washes about 5% of the cycle.

I'd first check to see if your getting 120 volts to the wash motor when it should be in the wash cycle. His Kenmore 665 made by Whirlpool, which owns and makes KitchenAid, and uses the exact same wash motor yours does.

Take the wire connector off the wash motor and use a multimeter to see if yours is getting 120 volts when it should be washing, if so and it's not running order the wash motor below.

Here's the wash motor for your model you can order(Video Included in part link):
Circulation Pump W11032770

For $6 less you can order the complete assembly:
Pump and Motor Assembly WPW10605057

Let us know what you find.

Jake

doorman1600

If water is being pumped around the arms in express mode wouldn’t that suggest the motor works okay?

(Not trying to be difficult here- just trying to get my head around the problem!)

Thanks so much for replying!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Not necessarily, that's why we need to see if your getting 120 volts at the wash motor on Normal wash.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, keep us posted.

Jake