FIXED KitchenAid KDTE104ESS1 washing problems

drhotwing1

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTE104ESS1
Brand
KitchenAid
Hi everyone, I have a KitchenAid KDTE104ESS1 under counter dishwasher that is only 2 years old that is not turning on the circulator pump during wash cycle.

When I realized what was going on I looked into it a bit and ended up thinking that the circulation pump went bad on me so I bought not only a new pump but the entire assembled part that pops into the opening amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z7PDPX2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After I installed it the wash cycle was working for a day then stopped again so there has to be something else going on. Here's some detail

* The wash cycle worked off and on since replacing the the assembly (mostly off)
* the water fills into the bottom to a level that I feel is accurate (just covering the heating elements)
* any mode that I select, the water fills, then a ticking sound is heard and when the wash cycle should be turned on there is nothing happening (except for that ticking sound)
* the water heats up and drains per the cycle when it should

I checked the external float by lifting it up and I hear the switch (click) engage
I also tried to reset the unit by pulling the circuit for 15 minutes, and also tried to reset the board.

I ran the diagnostics on it as well; entered diagnostics mode, closed the door and let it go through its cycle. When it finished the white light on the outside door flashed and beeped 3 times followed by one longer beep and turned off. I'm not 100% farmiliar with the codes so i don't know if that was just telling me that the diagnostics are done or if that is considered the (3-1) error?

Anyway, any help with this would be very much appreciated since I thought that by replacing the entire motor assembly it would fix the problem.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Regards, Jeff

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Jeff,

It sounds like you may have received a detective pump/motor assembly, I'm kinda shocked that amazon is selling it for $160, RepairClinic has it for $114.

Did you take the voltage reading from that electrical connector that plugs into the motor to see if you were getting 120 volts when the wash motor should be running?

Here it is from RepairClinic:
Pump and Motor Assembly WPW10605057

Jake

drhotwing1

Premium Member
Hey thank you Jake for getting back to me so quickly.

I will test this to see if 120v is getting to the pump during wash cycle. Am I to assume that you just unplug the harness plug and put each end of the tester directly into the harness plug?

If its not getting power where should I look next?

Update, I now have a second complete assembly that I just installed (another new one). Since they can be easily returned with no problem I just got another one to try. Same thing happened, after cutting power to install the new one the first run after install worked perfectly then same is happening, the wash cycle again stopped working yet all other cycles work perfectly. So to recap, this is the second NEW assembly installed successfully, first run after install ran perfectly, then the wash cycle stopped again.
I tested this by running a simple 'quick rinse' , water fills properly, I hear ticking (in door, and then down by water inlet), then when circulation should be starting I get complete silence, then it drains properly and refills properly, then silence again...

Any help would be great as this is getting very frustrating.

Regards,

Jeff

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jeff,

Try this first:
Anytime you replace a part on these new dishwashers you always have to run the SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS CYCLE, and let it run all the way through to reset it back to default.

Entry sequence: Press any 3 keys in the sequence 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3 with no more than 1 second between key presses. NOTE: Some models have replaced the “Clean” LED with “Completed.”
The Service Diagnostics Cycle will start when the door is closed.

■ Invoking Service Diagnostics clears all status and last run information from memory and restores defaults. It also forces the next cycle to be a sensor calibration cycle.

LET IT RUN ALL THE WAY THROUGH: Service diagnostic cycle will take about 23 minutes.

Do that now, and report back.:)

If that didn't solve it then Look at post #7 here: FIXED 665.13472N411 What to check on why it only washes about 5% of the cycle.

Check to see if your getting 120 volts to the wash motor when it should be in the wash cycle. His Kenmore 665 is made by Whirlpool, and uses the exact same wash motor yours does.

Take the wire connector off the wash motor and use your multimeter to see if yours is getting 120 volts when it should be washing.

If your not getting 120 volts then the control board is bad.

Here's the control board for your model:
W10854225 Cntrl-Elec

Jake

drhotwing1

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

once again thank you for your assistance here.

Yes, I fully performed the Service diagnosis cycle as soon as I installed the assemble both times. I will run it once again now for good measure. I will also test the voltage now as well and let you know if it is or isn't getting the juice.

I'll let you know how I make out. It's probably the control board (good price on here too) but I will confirm as you stated. Where is that control board located anyway? How do I get at it?

Regards,

Jeff

drhotwing1

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
OK I finally got a chance to get a meter on the circulation pump plug and I can confirm that I'm getting 120 volts. And it comes on during the wash cycle when it should.
I just don't understand how two brand new OEM pump assemblies can be defective out of the box??

So i'm assuming if power is in the harness plug then it's definitely the circulation pumps that are defective?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So i'm assuming if power is in the harness plug then it's definitely the circulation pumps that are defective?
Correct.:)

OK. I ordered the pump assembly that you posted above and returned the two that I got on Amazon. I hope this one works.
A few years ago a member got 3 bad dryer motors from ebay, then they ordered it from RepairClinic and it worked like a charm.:)

There is many news reports of Amazon and Ebay not cracking down on fraudsters, and then that's the end result people getting faulty parts. Even if they have 5 stars, those can be faked.

Jake

drhotwing1

Premium Member
Very true about Amazon. I got it on Prime so I didn't even know where they got them from. Dishes building up here the wife doesn't like it too much :)

Well the RepairClinic is the one on its way. Lets hope this is definitely the problem. I even saved a couple of bucks.
Thanks again for your help.

Jeff

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Jeff, if you were reading 120 volts, then the new circulation wash motor should be running.

Most all the members have been replacing just the circulation wash motor W11032770

If you do a search of our Blog Forum of W11032770 you will see all the members that reported back to us, W11032770 fixed them all.:)

Jake

drhotwing1

Premium Member
I ordered the pump and motor assembly that you said to get. How could just the pump be more money than the pump and entire assembly? That's a bit odd.
Pump and Motor Assembly WPW10605057

I should have it on Thursday, i'll let you know how I make out.

Jeff

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's a good question Jeff, but I don't have the answer.

Jake

drhotwing1

Premium Member
UPDATE

As of today I received the new assembly and installed it. My dishwasher is finally working as expected!
Just a note here, beware of NEW dishwasher parts sold on Amazon, I purchased 2 new assemblies from Amazon and installed them properly to find both units defective. The one was bad out of the box and the other worked for 2 washes and the circulation pump shut down.

So far so good with the new assembly I bought on RepairClinic. I hope this one lasts at least a couple of years for me.

A special thank you to Jake for responding and helping me out!

Jeff

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Jeff, I'm glad to hear that.:)

So now your the 2nd one to confirm with me Amazon is selling multiple bad sump/motor dishwasher parts, the other person years ago confirmed to me Ebay was selling the bad dryer motor parts.

Thanks for letting us and everybody know that.:)

I've ALWAYS recommended since 2004 when we started this forum, its always best to ONLY get appliances parts through our part suppliers AppliancePartsPros and RepairClinic. They ONLY deal in appliance parts.:)

Jake

drhotwing1

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
So, I purchased the pump assembly from you less than a year ago and once again it's not pumping during the wash cycles. Everything else appears to work just fine. It's the same problem I had originally and replaced the unit, and it worked until today. I'm getting 120 volts at the pump and went through all of what you told me to do before. It's just making a ticking noise when it's in the wash cycle so the water isn't circulating anymore.

I don't understand why this would happen after getting a new pump assembly less than a year ago.

What should I do?

Jeff

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jeff,

Did you purchase it at RepairClinic? If so, you have a one year full warranty on it, contact them and they will send another new one to you for free.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jeff, sounds good, let us know how it goes.

Jake

drhotwing1

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
so I got my new replacement pump assembly unit from RepairClinic and installed it today. Bad news, I'm once again getting a loud single tick near the left side of the dishwasher followed by two smaller ticks but the new circulation pump it NOT working. I tried resetting the dishwasher by taking out the fuse for 10 minutes and I double checked that the wires were all in the correct plugs. Everything once again works properly; water fills, drain pump pulls water on, and the cycle seems to be working properly except that when the circulation pump is supposed to turn on and run all I get is a clicking sound.

There is no way that all of these pump assemblies are defective out of the box. This is frustrating me to no end.
I just don't know what to do now or what to look for.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jeff,

Like I said above, Check to see if your getting 120 volts to the wash motor when it should be in the wash cycle.

Take the wire connector off the wash motor and use your multimeter to see if yours is getting 120 volts when it should be washing.

If your not getting 120 volts then the control board is bad.

Jake