FIXED KitchenAid KDTE104ESS1 washing problems

drhotwing1

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

I tested the voltage and i'm getting a full 120 volts into the pump wire.

When I took the assembly out to pull the wire and verified the voltage, I reinstalled the assembly and it is now working. I did notice that the clips in the plug were a bit loose so I tightened them. Maybe it wasn't making good contact.

I now have another problem. The circulating pump is working properly now and the cycles are good (unit is washing, draining, filling, etc.) except now all of the sudden the sanitize light is flashing and there is a film on the dishes even though the dishwasher completed and the clean light is on. What can this be as it was working up until the last time I pulled the pump assembly?

I am curious of one thing, there is another white unit (diverter motor) on the pump assembly that has 2 connections (2 blue wires and 2 red wires), those ends are exactly the same. I wonder if I put the wires on backwards. Where does the red wire clip go? on the end or top? Would this have something to do with why the hot wash isn't working all of the sudden?

Sorry for all of the questions.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to hear you found the problem.:)

I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below that has the wiring diagram in it.

The 2 blue wire connector goes to the diverter motor.

Now I see 2 sets of 2 RED wire connectors, one goes to the diverter position switch contact and the other one says for FUTURE USE.:)

Jake

Attachments

drhotwing1

Premium Member
OK so it's wired like this?

Would this have anything at all to do with why the heating element isn't getting hot? This just started (blinking sanitize light at end) as soon as I just replaced the new pump assembly.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, blue wires go at the bottom below the blue label where you made the blue square, red wires go where you made the red square.

There is a video of your diverter in this link:

Remember what I said in post#4?

Anytime you replace a part on these new dishwashers you always have to run the SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS CYCLE, and let it run all the way through to reset it back to default.

Entry sequence: Press any 3 keys in the sequence 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3 with no more than 1 second between key presses. NOTE: Some models have replaced the “Clean” LED with “Completed.”
The Service Diagnostics Cycle will start when the door is closed.

--->Invoking Service Diagnostics clears all status and last run information from memory and restores defaults. It also forces the next cycle to be a sensor calibration cycle.

LET IT RUN ALL THE WAY THROUGH: Service diagnostic cycle will take about 23 minutes.

Do that now, and report back.:)

Jake

drhotwing1

Premium Member
OK I'm running the service diagnostic cycle now. When starting all lights lit up then the front led began flashing. After a minute or so water began to fill then a loud tick started near the front, and I can hear a buzzing sound on the front right near where the power wires are tied in. Not sure if that's normal activity but i'll let it finish the diag and let you know if it fixes the problem.

Jeff

drhotwing1

Premium Member
Jake, here's another update. I decided to pull it out again and test the voltage once again. I'm getting full 120 volts into the plug so it's not the control panel. I'm thinking that it may be a bad connection to the motor. I'll mess with it more to try to get the clip on better to make a better connection and i'll let you know how I make out.

This might be why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't...bad connection at plug.

Jeff

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Jeff, I agree, that's likely where the problem is happening, I hate those very small electrical motor connector pins they are using now, they seem to break to easy and not stay tight and secure.

Jake

drhotwing1

Premium Member
Jake, that was the problem! The clips were loose but the little cover over the pins popped off. I tightened everything up and slapped a piece of electrical tape over it and it all works now. This could also be why the motor was randomly stopping, must have been from vibration.

Thank you as always for all of your help. If it weren't for you I would haver never even attempted to fix it. I would have likely just got a new one :)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Jeff, glad that was the problem and you fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake