• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid KDTE254ESS2 Not Doing Anything Right

christianrg

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTE254ESS2
Brand
KitchenAid
Hey everyone. So I don't even know where to start with the issues this dishwasher is having. Right now it seems that it's not doing anything properly.

Mainly it's not getting the dishes clean, water not getting hot and definitely not drying them worth a darn. I'm also noticing that there is a lot of dish washing liquid left in the dispenser after a wash and most of it is just running down the door, not getting dissolved.

Here's what I've done to date:

Ran diagnostics more times that I can count. I did a full reset of the unit by pressing the specified button on the correct step during the diagnostic cycle. That cleared all of the error codes and the washer worked ok for a day or two then stopped cleaning.

Ran diagnostics again and got the following error codes.

6-4, float switch stuck. I replaced that. Washer worked properly for a couple days then stopped getting dishes clean. I also checked the water inlet valve to make sure it wasn't clogged, which it wasn't. I did not pull the inlet valve and test opening/closing function.

7-1 bad heating element. Replaced heating element. Seemed to work well for a week or so, then stopped heating the water. Dishes then wouldn't get clean or dry. No plume of steam when you open the door mid cycle.

8-1, slow drain. There was no water left in the basin after a full cycle, so I didn't replace any parts for this because it didn't seem to be a legitimate issue.

I've noticed the diverter is clicking really loud and frequently, but I haven't got any error codes for that part.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Maybe it's the control board? I haven't had any error codes pointing to that as being a problem. I also am not noticing any fan noise during the drying process. Should there be a fan running?

I haven't checked ohm's or voltage for any parts, mainly because I'm just not sure what to check at this point. I would love any suggestions for things to check. This dish washer is only a year or so old and is by far the worst unit I've ever owned.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below.

Yes, it sounds like a control board problem, because you are getting false positive error codes.

Here's the control board for your model:
Check your owners manual warranty, some KitchenAid models have a 5 yr. warranty on the control board.

Jake

Attachments

• Tech+Sheet+-+W10750900+-+Rev+C.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 94

christianrg

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I was actually about ready to pull the trigger yesterday and just buy a new control board, but I figured I'd ask here first since I know you all really knowledgeable.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, yes but see if its covered under the 5 yr. warranty first.

Jake

christianrg

Premium Member
Well my control board wasn't under warranty because we got this unit at Sears Outlet. So I ordered one. I took the door apart to swap it out and noticed that the control board that's currently in the dishwasher has an extra plug directly next to the 4 wire heater mains on the far left. See those two light blue wires going in next to the black/white wire? The control board I purchase doesn't have a slot for that plug. If you look at the wiring diagram from the tech sheet for my dishwasher it also doesn't even show those 2 light blue wires or what they're for. Any idea what those 2 light blue wires control?

I'm fairly confident I purchased the correct control board as I've checked all the model numbers that cover that particular part for my dishwasher model and all of them look exactly like the one I purchased. I'm reluctant to install the board I purchased as I'm sure those wires are needed for something or else they won't be in there. Hoping someone can shed some light on this for me. Thanks.

Control board currently in my dishwasher.
20200515_130944.jpg

fb7fac8f27f033056ade43ea84ecd1b1.png

This is the part I purchased. You can see it only has a spot for the heating main plug on the left.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 37

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That control board you ordered is the wrong one.

Why didn't you order it from my link to it above?

Jake

christianrg

Premium Member
That control board you ordered is the wrong one.

Why didn't you order it from my link to it above?

Jake
Cause that that board is pricey. I was looking to find a lower price so I took that part number and shopped it. The description of the board I purchased said it was correct for my model dishwasher.

I can't even find a photo on any of the parts sites that have that additional 2 plug for the light blue wires.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
This is it here:

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
All you do is remove the wires from the origninal board and transfer them to the new board in the exact same spots, there should be no differences.

I've replaced many of these boards and all went perfect!

Jake

christianrg

Premium Member
Thanks. You see what I'm taking about with those 2 light blue wires correct? In the pic from my current dishwasher board, both the 4 pin heating main + those 2 lt blue wires each go to into their own plug slots (4 + 2) under that small plastic cover.

The photo of the board you just posted above is exactly the same as the replacement one I purchased and doesn't appear to have a slot for those blue wires. Like I said before, I can't find any version of this board that has that extra 2 pin slot for those.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wait,

Take a photo of the model number tag and upload it here.

I just put in the part number of your original board and it came up with a different board number and different model number.

Look here:
W10854225 Cntrl-Elec

christianrg

Premium Member
See if this makes any sense. Thanks. That one you posted above looks correct to me. It has the 2 pin plug next to the heating main.

20200515_130944 copy.JPG

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's not the model number!

Open the dishwasher door and look on the tub frame and use your phone to snap a photo of your model number tag.:)

Jake

christianrg

Premium Member
Hey Jake, Here's the model number. That grey control panel was the correct one. I grabbed it and installed it yesterday. Ran diagnostics and didn't get any error codes.

I ran a full wash on it and noticed that all of the dishwashing liquid had emptied on to the floor of the tub. None was dissolved. The dishes were semi-clean, but not all the way. When I opened the door it was really hot and steam came out.

So I ran diagnostics again and I'm getting the 6-4 error code for the float switch/inlet water fill valve. I've already replaced the float switch a month ago and the code went away. So do you think I should replace that inlet fill valve? The fact that it's obviously not getting enough water in there during a cycle makes me think that's likely the culprit. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20200523_114020.jpg
    20200523_114020.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 57

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Where did you buy this dishwasher? Are you the original owner since day 1 when it was brand new?

That model number says yours takes this control board:
Not the Grey one. So I'm very confused why the model number and control board are not matching up.

Jake

christianrg

Premium Member
Yeah we bought it at the Sears Outlet a couple years ago. The only thing listed as being an issue with it was a little cosmetic scratch on the stainless steel door side.

It's been in our possession the entire time. :)

I ran another full wash and this time it dissolved all of the detergent and the dishes were clean/dry. I need to run another diagnostic and see if it's giving the 6-4 error code, but it definitely cleaned the dishes this time...FINALLY!