• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kitchenaid KDTE404DBL0 dishwasher possible control board issues again?

John Z

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTE404DBL0
Brand
KitchenAid
Kitchenaid KDTE404DBL0 dishwasher, 6 years old. Previous problems here from one year ago:

(fan not running after replacement, known good heating element not working; replacement of control board solved issues.)

Current problem: not cleaning well. Possible causes:

(1) DW gives trouble code 9-1 (Electronic control board can't detect the position of the diverter disc). Diverter motor was replaced ~2 months ago (motor failed due to water seepage around seal), and has worked fine since then.

(2) DW gave code 3-1 (Thermistor/OWI sensor failure), so I replaced the sensor this morning. The wiring harness looked good as new. The DW now gives code 3-2 (Shorted thermistor/OWI sensor).

I also recently (in the last month) replaced the fan again because I noticed it not running (the fan was less than one year old). The old fan looked fine (though I didn't test it; I should have), but the replacement fan works.

My speculation, given the history of the DW (failed control board one year ago) and odd trouble codes currently (shorted OWI that is brand new; diverter issue after only two months), is that the control board has failed again. Is that a reasonable assumption?\

Thank you in advance!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Replaced the fan? I don't see a fan on this model, what is the part number of the fan?

Oh wait, you mean the door vent?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Remember what I mentioned in your last thread?

Anytime you replace a part on these new dishwashers you always have to run the SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS CYCLE, and let it run all the way through to reset it back to default.

Entry sequence: Press any 3 keys in the sequence 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3 with no more than 1 second between key presses. NOTE: Some models have replaced the “Clean” LED with “Completed.”
The Service Diagnostics Cycle will start when the door is closed.

■ Invoking Service Diagnostics clears all status and last run information from memory and restores defaults. It also forces the next cycle to be a sensor calibration cycle.

LET IT RUN ALL THE WAY THROUGH: Service diagnostic cycle will take about 23 minutes.

Do that now, and report back.:)

Jake

John Z

Premium Member
Yes, the door vent. :)

Sorry, I should have mentioned: after installing the OWI sensor, I ran the diagnostics cycle exactly as I learned from you last time. That affected no change, nor did running a normal cycle afterwards. I then cut the power to the DW for five minutes. After resuming power, there was still no change. I ran the full diagnostic cycle a second time; still no change.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So lets say you start a new cycle, the machine fills with water, then do you hear the wash motor running and water splashing inside? Or is it dead silent?

Jake

John Z

Premium Member
Yes, the machine runs more or less as expected. The problem is that the dishes don't get very clean. The poor cleaning performance I suppose is due to the diverter not functioning properly, or to the water temp not being maintained properly due to the OWI sensor issue (this is a thermostat, too, I assume?), but these two problems -- diverter and OWI sensor -- shouldn't be problems since one is pretty new and the other is new today.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
All the diverter does is switch the water from the lower spray arms to the upper spray arms.

If you had a leak at that diverter motor seal, you always have to replace the diverter motor too, because it got water in it, and that's why its not working right.:)

Here's the diverter motor for your model:
W10537869 Motor

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Also, look at your tech. data sheet and clear the error codes, it tells you how.

Jake

John Z

Premium Member
Thank you. As I mentioned in my first post, the diverter motor was replaced by me 2 months ago, which is why I suspect the error code is erroneous.

I will look at the tech sheet now.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
As I mentioned in my first post, the diverter motor was replaced by me 2 months ago
Oops sorry, I missed you saying that.:)

Yes, try to clear the error code. Other than that, it would be another bad control board, that's very rare to ever see 2 go bad like that.

But if its still under 5 years old: On this model you have a 5 year part warranty on the control board itself, not including labor. So you'll need to contact KitchenAid to come out and order the control board for you, or have them send the control board to you for free, then you can install it yourself.

If you're absolutely sure its over 5 years old, then you'd have to buy the new control board.

Here's the control board for your model:
Control Board W10866116

Jake