• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kitchenaid KDTM354DSS4 fails to fully drain - Water remains in dishwasher after cycle ends

gossamer

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTM354DSS4
Brand
KitchenAid
Hi, I'm a relatively technical user and am capable of following technical directions and replacing parts.

I have a Kitchenaid KDTM354DSS4 that doesn't fully drain. After the cycle ended, there was still water inside of the dishwasher that hadn't fully drained.

I manually drained all the water out of the bottom of the dishwasher, then disconnected the hoses from the drain and the drain pump, and was able to blow air through - the hose is not blocked. There was quite a bit of soap build-up, but nothing I saw that was especially obstructive that I believe would have prevented the dishwasher from draining properly. I've since cleared the soap build-up, of course.

I then started a "cancel drain" cycle, where I can see the impeller spinning inside of the drain motor. It sounds normal once it starts spinning.

Is it possible the drain motor works, but is not sufficient to completely drain the dishwasher? I also disconnected the hose from the garbage disposal drain, and directed it to a bucket, and the tub did fully drain, although it was very slow. Is it more likely the hose is plugged in some way, or the motor is bad?

[btw, it's worth noting that no where on the homepage did I see anything about how to register - I just randomly added /register to the URL. Did I miss a more obvious link to register?]

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I also disconnected the hose from the garbage disposal drain, and directed it to a bucket, and the tub did fully drain, although it was very slow. Is it more likely the hose is plugged in some way
The water should drain out very fast with lots of pressure behind it.

Remove the drain hose and see if you feel a clog in the elbow of it.

Here's the drain hose for your model:
W11084165 Hose-Drain

You also should have a drain hose extension too. Goes from the drain hose loop to the house drain. 6-1/2 feet. Check that for clogs too.

Here it is for your model:
Drain Hose 8269144A

[btw, it's worth noting that no where on the homepage did I see anything about how to register - I just randomly added /register to the URL. Did I miss a more obvious link to register?]
LOL, nope, lots of people have been asking that as of late, the reason is because Jeff is taking personal time off, Rick, Dan O., and I work here and out in the field doing service calls and if we leave the site open 24 hours a day, we would be slammed and Rick, Dan O., and I could never keep up.

Registration is only open from 6 am to 6 pm MST.

Jake

gossamer

Premium Member
Thanks very much for your help. Even though the hose passed air when blowing through it, it apparently was quite clogged. I took it outside and used the hose with the stream attachment and passed water through it. The only thing that came out was built-up old soap. I then also used a tiny brush on the end of an aluminum rod to clean it further. The dishwasher now drains properly.

I was using the soap pods from Kirkland/Costco - are these known to have problems? This is our first time using them. Previously we were using the original KitchenAid ones from the supermarket. We also used the liquid/gel, but that did a horrible job. I believe we also used the organic pods, but they also didn't clean well. Maybe they were the cause?

Robert4

Premium Member
I was using the soap pods from Kirkland/Costco - are these known to have problems? This is our first time using them. Previously we were using the original KitchenAid ones from the supermarket. We also used the liquid/gel, but that did a horrible job. I believe we also used the organic pods, but they also didn't clean well. Maybe they were the cause?
Often times, cheaper, off-brand detergents do cause problems. Do you have hard water or soft water?

gossamer

Premium Member
We have hard water, but this is the first time in at least seven years that we've had this particular problem. I do periodically add a cup or two of vinegar to the middle cycle, and that definitely helps.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks very much for your help. Even though the hose passed air when blowing through it, it apparently was quite clogged. I took it outside and used the hose with the stream attachment and passed water through it. The only thing that came out was built-up old soap. I then also used a tiny brush on the end of an aluminum rod to clean it further. The dishwasher now drains properly.
Excellent, glad you got it fixed.(y)

I was using the soap pods from Kirkland/Costco - are these known to have problems?
I use Cascade Pods in my Maytag dishwasher and have for 10 years and not a single problem.

Robert is correct, the store brand pods are not good to use, if you use the Cascade Pods you should be fine.:)

Jake

Robert4

Premium Member
Sometimes the minerals in hard water and ingredients in the off-brand pods will cause grimy build up.

gossamer

Premium Member
It's also worth noting that this Kiplinger's report says that Kirkland pods beat Cascade in the latest Consumer Reports tests. I don't have access to the CR report, so I don't know if they tested "dissolvability", but they're ranking it as a leading brand.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
LOL, Consumer Reports is generally wrong on most of their ratings when it comes to appliances and appliance detergents.

They test all their products in-house in a controlled environment , we techs go to the customers house, big difference!

Jake