• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid KDTM504EPA0 Dishwasher - lower wash arm assembly spraying, but not spinning

TrippKnightly

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTM504EPA0
Brand
KitchenAid
It has been a few months since my last repair odyssey with a broken mesh filter and failed board, so I figured it's about time for a new one. My lower wash arm is not spinning, but it is emitting water from the jets, as this GoPro from inside the belly of the unit shows. I have seen a couple threads here already suggesting the circ pump motor is not long for this world when this happens.

Although, the upper wash arm is spinning fine (it probably requires less water pressure than the lower tri-arm). Maybe the video will prove very little (I mean who watches a lot of vids from inside dishwashers?) but figured I'd share. I've had a couple incidents with shredded filter screens, so maybe I'll end up having another here.

I believe the way this lower arm works is the largest pinwheel of jets is the one that spins around the whole assembly (it has gears underneath). The two smaller pinwheels: one spins on its own from the pressure of the emitter jets, the other does not spin.

All else seems fine with the assembly; it's on there fine. Nothing is impeding the whole assembly from rotating.

TrippKnightly

Premium Member
Just to clarify - that smaller rotor which does not spin is by design in a fixed position, as opposed to not spinning when it should be.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Tripp, Another member had this exact same issue, look here:
Here's the complete wash motor assembly which includes the diverter motor/lower spray arm motor--->W10861526 PUMP&MOTOR

Jake

TrippKnightly

Premium Member
Some good sleuthing by member Finnimus in that thread. I've gone on to remove the spray arm assembly and see no evidence (GoPro'd as well) of the gear drive sprocket spinning during various cycles. Suggests it's the combination diverter / spray arm motor. What's weird is I do see water coming out of upper and lower arms (and then not) at various times (even my original vid shows that). So the diverter is apparently "diverting" (by rotating that white valve plate which diverts water to various spray distribution tubes). Yet, it's not spinning spin the 4-tooth axle sprocket that connects to the gears on the spray arm assembly. Surprised that it can only do one and not the other since the motor only has one spindle coming off it. Would expect all or nothing?

I see you are suggesting buy the whole circ pump assembly $218 vs just the diverter motor $140. The circ pump would seem to be working fine, so I'd have a choice of buying the whole pump assembly (has two motors as well as that fragile mesh filter which I'm sure is going get trashed again if not already). And a bunch of other sump parts that may or not ever fail but cheap insurance at that point.

(Note I stand corrected: the spray arm assembly spins due to a motor, not jet propulsion as I suggested in my first post. I never saw that drive axle until looking for it after reading the thread you linked.)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Tripp, get the whole whole circ pump assembly which includes the diverter motor.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.