KitchenAid KEBC208KSS0 Double Oven Often Will Not Cancel

gmcmurry

Premium Member
Model
KEBC208KSS0
Brand
KitchenAid
I have a KitchenAid KEBC208KSS0 Double Oven.

The upper oven, the one I use most all the time, more and more will not turn off when I press cancel. I have to go to the breaker panel and cycle the breaker to get it to turn off.

Then sometime it will work fine. It seems to be failing more and more.

Can these membrane switches be serviced or cleaned, or do we just replace them?

I did some digging around and it looks like it could be another KitchenAid part that they no longer sell. I found this number: 4456332

Thanks!

Greg

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Membrane switch not responding

more and more will not turn off when I press cancel.
There are 3 possibilities, the touchpad membrane is not making proper switching contact when touched, or the electronic control is not responding to that keypress, or the electronic control is just not detecting the contact being made.

Someone could first try reseating the control panel's ribbon connector where it plugs into the electronic control. They can sometimes come loose or just get gummed up with grease and dust, etc. and not make great contact.

If the ribbon connector IS seated Ok but the electronic control is not responding to the touch, the electronic control might be defective and have to be replaced.

If the membrane switch itself is defective and just not switching properly when touched (most likely), it can not usually be repaired and would usually require the whole control panel to be replaced.

I did some digging around and it looks like it could be another KitchenAid part that they no longer sell. I found this number: 4456332
You are correct however, it looks like that replacement part has been discontinued by Whirlpool. I did luckily happen to find one reportedly "new" one still available online if needed.

LINK > KitchenAid KEBC208KSS0 Control Panel # 4456332

Dan O.

gmcmurry

Premium Member
Sounds like I need to at least take it apart and check the connectors first.

I have a similar problem I am going to tackle on my KitchenAid built in Microwave. Everything works except I can no longer set the clock. The Clock Set buttons are dead. On both units they look the same. I bet what I learn on the oven will be the same problem on the Microwave.

Thanks for the advice.

Greg

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Sounds like I need to at least take it apart and check the connectors first.
It's only a slim chance the connection is the cause but it's free to check.

When you open the control area, the unit's wiring diagram and 'tech sheet' should be in there. It may show you the ribbon matrix so you can actually test if a key press is registering in the ribbon at the connector to get actual confirmation.

Dan O.

gmcmurry

Premium Member
Just for anyone that might try to use info from this post...

The KEBC208KSS0 DOES NOT use the 4456332 Control panel as stated above. It will not fit.

The proper Touch/Control panel is the 4452379.

There are plenty of these available on EBAY for under $200 and they are easy to replace.

My project is complete now. Oven works perfectly.

Greg

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Various part numbers used??

The KEBC208KSS0 DOES NOT use the 4456332 Control panel as stated above. It will not fit. The proper Touch/Control panel is the 4452379.
That's strange. Both parts are listed as used on that model. Some may use one while others the other?? Usually the model number will change if it uses different components.

KEBC208KSS0 Parts List said:
# on diagram

5A - Oven switch panel membrane Part #: 4455412 substitutes to 4456328

5B - Switch panel membrane Part #: 4455418 substitutes to 4456332

5C - Switch panel membrane Part #: 4452379 substitutes to WP4456323

Consumers might want to check directly with Whirlpool supplying both their model and serial number to see if Whirlpool can verify the needed component's part number for their machine.

Sorry for the mix-up.

Dan O.