• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)
  • Important Announcement

    It's with sad news to announce that our site owner, Jake, has passed away. You can read the details here.

FIXED KitchenAid KEMC308KSS0 Built-in Microwave/Oven getting "Door" error


Premium Member
Oct 14, 2022
San Diego, California
Model Number
More than 10 years
I have a 21 year old KitchenAid KEMC308KSS0 model Microwave/Oven built-in combo. I am getting a 3 beep..or "Door" error. .If I try to run the microwave, it will turn on for less than a second, then blow the small ceramic 20Amp fuse near the diode and then I get either 3 beeps or I see a "Door" message on the control panel. I can see control error messages if I long hold the 0 button, but the codes indicate no error present. (I think it was f0 e0). Bottom oven works fine.

I've already done the following (not in this order, and not all at once):
I took the oven out of the wall....removed panels...
1. Tested and replaced the Magnetron.
2. Tested and replaced high voltage diode
3. Tested and replaced capacitor
4. Tested and replaced 2 door switches, the third tested perfectly fine. (2 on the right side, 1 on the left)
5. Tested thermostatic switches.
6. Tested high voltage transformer (with leads to capacitor)

All items tested fine, but I replaced them anyway to make sure we're good....then tested with new parts, then put old parts back after testing with no change. (I now have backup replacement parts.)

I don't know where else to go.... What could be causing this?

Is there some diagnostic mode that also gives more information than just the error codes I saw...which indicate no error. Am I missing some other switch? Obviously there is some short that is causing the fuse to blow. In the past the microwave would on occasion not heat anything, but it would turn on and run. Opening and closing the door would fix that until it stopped altogether. Seems related.
Last edited:
@rickgburton is one of our Microwave experts, but he has been sick for the majority of this year and I don't know when he will return, hoping and praying soon!

I have no training or experience working on Microwaves at all, but I did locate the service manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz...=sharing&resourcekey=0-CjGMN1Hlkl6yTOS4f0WkCg

You might want to look at what Rick mentioned in this post, hopefully that will help :

Let us know what you find, if you could please. Thanks!

Thanks Jake. I already saw those posts and basically already checked all that. There is something that is causing the short which is blowing the fuse and I'm just missing what it could be. I'm not sure if the "Door" error message is wrong and something else is actually at fault, or what I could be missing besides the three door switches I checked.
I really don't know myself as I mentioned earlier, hopefully another tech or member can shed some light on this issue for you.

I punted and called a KitchenAid repair guy. Turns out I was an idiot and hooked up a wire incorrectly going from the transformer to the capacitor.

I took a photo early on of the wire setup, but in replacing various parts along the way and all the testing of combinations I took another photo where I ah hooked it up incorrectly, and then from that point forward was using that photo as my reference shot and then further memorized that incorrect wire setup.

It took the repair guy 3 hours to finally solve my self-inflicted puzzle. Geez....did I feel like an idiot! But in the end I still saved money by replacing the switches and blown fuses myself, as well as disassembling and reinstalling the double oven.

I also learned a lot and other than diagnosing a blown circuit board feel like I can fix a microwave now. :)
No worries, it happens to all of us at least once in our lives.

Glad to hear your back in business.(y)

Thanks for the update!

For the benefit of future problem solvers, I had basically the same problem on my 2010 Whirlpool Gold Velos unit, model GH7208XRY3, a few years ago. My fuse blowing was more random but the frequency was increasing. The problem was one of the 2 switched activated on the latch side of the door. The switches are relatively cheap and (I think) should be the first item thrown against the wall to see if it sticks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Support Our Site

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation, please consider making a donation.