KitchenAid KFIS29PBMS00 freezer isn't very cold

Dunesoul

Premium Member
Model Number
KFIS29PBMS00
Brand
KitchenAid
My apologies if this has been discussed before, I see a few threads similar but I'll ask again. I just acquired a
KFIS29PBMS00 after cleaning it up and finding that the water inlet valve was cracked ( the hard way with a really big puddle) I've realized that the freezer isn't very cold. I checked the settings, it's set to -5f, but a container of water is just barely frozen overnight and still slightly liquid aster 2 days.

Is there any potential good news here? Where to begin?

Thanks in advance.

-Matt

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Is there any potential good news here?
Maybe.

Where to begin?
Expose the cooling/evaporator coils behind the false back wall in the freezer and let us know ( or take a picture ) of the frost pattern on the coils. All evenly frosted, 1/2 frosted and 1/2 bare, ball of ice, etc etc.

jeff.

Dunesoul

Premium Member
So, update. Out a price thermometer in the fridge this morning and it was at 63 degrees. Just got home, removed the freezer door and back panel. The photo shows no Frost, can't really say it was even cold. I then unplugged the fridge and plugged it back in. Got the power failure alert and confirmed it. Then I heard the compressor and fan kick on. Waiting to see if the temp drops.

jeff1

Staff member
Your picture was with the refrigerator/compressor/fans running? If yes, you have an major system issue of some sort.....leaker, restriction, inefficient compressor = BIG $ repair or new refrigerator time.

jeff.

Dunesoul

Premium Member
Your picture was with the refrigerator/compressor/fans running? If yes, you have an major system issue of some sort.....leaker, restriction, inefficient compressor = BIG $ repair or new refrigerator time.

jeff.
I can say it was plugged in. For whatever reason it didn't seem to be running till I unplugged it and plugged it back in. The temp in the fridge is currently down to 46, so that's an improvement. I'll give it till tomorrow and check the coils again and let you know what I see. I'm hoping this is something I can work through. A fridge is a couple weeks wages! Not cool.

Dunesoul

Premium Member
I can say it was plugged in. For whatever reason it didn't seem to be running till I unplugged it and plugged it back in. The temp in the fridge is currently down to 46, so that's an improvement. I'll give it till tomorrow and check the coils again and let you know what I see. I'm hoping this is something I can work through. A fridge is a couple weeks wages! Not cool.
Today's update. Fridge at proper operating temp, around 45, freezer at 35 or so. Water barely frozen. Photo attached.

Attachments

jeff1

Staff member
You have an major system issue of some sort.....leaker, restriction, inefficient compressor = BIG $ repair or new refrigerator time. :(

jeff.

jeff1

Staff member
Unless you have the special tools and knowledge of the refrigeration system, best to call someone in to check it out further.

jeff.