Kitchenaid KFXS25RYBL2 - Ice maker bail arm issue

joshuaseu

Premium Member
Model Number
KFXS25RYBL2
Brand
KitchenAid
Alright, I already replaced this ice maker once, so, this is the second one. I ordered the replacement 12/12/2017, so, it's only a year and a half old, but the warranty was only for 1 year, so, convenient... anyways. The issue -

1) It makes a batch of ice and dispenses it, (this is into an empty ice drawer) but then the bail arm goes up and stays up, so, it will not make more.
2) If I try and immediately go in and manually put the bail arm down I cannot, it's stuck up.
3) However, after about 2-3 minutes if I go in and try to manually put it down, it goes down easily and will make another batch of ice, but then I must repeat the process again.

So, why is the bail arm going up when it dispenses into an empty drawer (maybe it's supposed to?), and why will it not go back down after dispensing when the drawer is empty. And is this a way to fix this without buying another one for $90? Thank you!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
When the bail arm stays up is the ice maker still cycling? Do you see the ejector arm fingers still moving? Hold the door switch in and watch it.

Its normal for the bail arm to stay up for a little while during a cycle, but it should lower by itself towards the end of the cycle.

Jake

joshuaseu

Premium Member
Yes, it is still cycling, and the ejector arm fingers are moving for the first few seconds. But it's after they stop the bail arm never comes down, it's stayed up for hours and days without ever going down by itself, I always have to manually push it down, then it works normally until it ejects the next batch of ice, then I have to wait for the sound of the water filling, wait 2-3 minutes, and push the bail arm down again manually to get it to go through the next cycle. So, basically, is there something I can look at/adjust/grease/whatever, to get that bail arm to drop by itself, thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
This is basically the same style as the older Whirlpool ice makers, you have a ice maker module head that has a pivot arm where that bail arm connects to inside the ice maker module head, if that pivot has broken then you'd need to replace the ice maker.

I don't know if the module will unscrew off the ice maker head like the old ones did. If so, you can look at it from the inside of the module and see if its broken.

Here's the ice maker kit for your model:
Ice Maker Assembly W10882923

Jake

joshuaseu

Premium Member
Thank you for the information and your time, I will see if I can break it down and figure out what it wrong in that area, thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, let us know what you find.

Jake