• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid KRFC604FSS00 Not Cooling in Refrigerator Compartment

pavan87

Premium Member
Model Number
KRFC604FSS00
Brand
KitchenAid
I have a 4 year old KitchenAid KRFC604FSS00 that just stopped cooling in the refrigerator compartment this weekend. When I first discovered the cooling problem, it was about 70 degrees in the refrigerator compartment. The current temperature in the refrigerator compartment is about 70 degrees but it has dropped to about 48 degrees after I first discovered the cooling issue and is now back to about 70 degrees.

The freezer compartment appears to be working fine. As a separate issue, I've been having ice maker problems for the last month which is due to a bad ice box fan. I replaced the ice box fan about 4 months ago but the replacement part appears to have been defective.

I can see that ice has built up underneath the back panel. The evaporator fan runs occasionally but is very noisy which I attribute to the ice build up. There was also a puddle of water undeath the bottom drawer inside the refrigerator compartment.

I pulled the unit from the cabinet and there was a bit of water underneath the unit. I put my hand on the compressor and it appears to be on.

I ran diagnostics with the following result:

Service Test 1 = 50
Service Test 2 = -9
Service Test 3 = 22
Service Test 4 = -9
Service Test 5 = 44
Service Test 23 = 66
Service Test 24 = 60
Service Test 25 = 62
Service Test 26 = 78
Service Test 28 = 48
Service Test 29 = -4
Service Test 30 = 44
Service Test 31 = 77
Service Test 33 = 32
Service Test 34 = 34
Service Test 35 = 32
Service Test 36 = -7

Does anyone have a link to instructions or a video to remove the drawers so that I can access the back panel in the refrigerator compartment to look at the frost pattern on the coils? Some instructions I have found state to remove the doors and I'm hoping I don't have to do that.

What are the next steps I should take to diagnose the problem?

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You will likely need the new RC evaporator cover, which includes the RC evaporator fan and thermistor:

--->Evaporator cover for white interiors W10889360

Does anyone have a link to instructions or a video to remove the drawers so that I can access the back panel in the refrigerator compartment to look at the frost pattern on the coils? Some instructions I have found state to remove the doors and I'm hoping I don't have to do that.
Its Page 3-7 in the service manual https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iRRnn103aeGMfrJwdW0Qoazg6S6k2qho/view?usp=sharing is the instructions and videos to remove the evaporator cover assembly, that tells you how to remove the R(refrigerator)C(compartment) evaporator cover.

Jake

pavan87

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake.

I did see the technical service pointer which discusses replacing the evaporator cover. However, my serial number falls outside of the range for that technical service pointer. Have you seen evaporator covers that have gone bad outside of that serial range? I would assume if I am outside of that serial number range, the gasket on the evaporator cover is the updated version.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Have you seen evaporator covers that have gone bad outside of that serial range? I would assume if I am outside of that serial number range, the gasket on the evaporator cover is the updated version.
Yes, I have.

Did you also check the Refrigerator section evaporator thermistor for proper contact with the tubing?

Look on page 6 here:

Attachments

• service-pointer-w11033419D-ice-buildup-on-evaporator.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 54

pavan87

Premium Member
Jake,

I finally had a chance to remove the evaporator cover. There was so much ice buildup on the evaporator that I had to let the unit defrost overnight.

Here is a picture of the evaporator covered in ice (after sitting overnight).

Evap2.jpg

Its hard for me to confirm whether the thermistor was making proper contact or not. As I removed the evaporator cover, the wire for the evaporator cover did pull the thermistor so I'm not sure if it was always in this position or if it was pulled during removal. Is this proper contact or is it too far? Can I zip tie it to make a tighter contact?

The copper tubing the thermistor is attached too appears to be greatly discolored and has a coating on it. Is this normal? Should I clean this somehow so there is better contact between the tube and the thermistor?

I was sent the wrong color evaporator cover so I'm hoping I can re-use the current one to prevent waiting on the correct replacement part.

Attachments

• Thermistor6.jpg
    Thermistor6.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Thermistor7.jpg
    Thermistor7.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Thermistor1.jpg
    Thermistor1.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Thermistor3.jpg
    Thermistor3.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 58

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, clean the copper tubing with sandpaper where it goes. In fact move it towards the front per this photo below.

Screenshot 2022-07-20 14.34.43.png

pavan87

Premium Member
Yes, clean the copper tubing with sandpaper where it goes. In fact move it towards the front per this photo below.

View attachment 67241
Thanks, Jake. Should I also use a zip tie to have it make closer contact with the copper tube?

Turns out I was sent the wrong color evaporator cover. What are your thoughts on the old evaporator and thermistor working after the copper tube is cleaned and thermistor moved?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Per the service pointer, it only lists 1 color to choose from for the evaporator cover--->Evaporator cover for white interiors W10889360

In your photo the refrigerator cavity looks white to me.

Should I also use a zip tie to have it make closer contact with the copper tube?
Yes you can.

Jake

pavan87

Premium Member
Per the service pointer, it only lists 1 color to choose from for the evaporator cover--->Evaporator cover for white interiors W10889360

In your photo the refrigerator cavity looks white to me.

Yes you can.

Jake

Agreed, there is only one color for my model Indeed, the interior cavity is white in color.

However, this is what I received.

I did sand down the copper pipe and reattach the thermistor in the proper location with an additional zip tie as support. I'm hoping it cools down to the correct temperature in a few hours. It does appear that my original evaporator cover is one that has the thinner gasket while the new evaporator covers have a thicker gasket.

Attachments

• Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 46

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's the only evaporator cover I see listed for your model, WAS the original white? They may have discontinued WHITE for some reason.

Jake

pavan87

Premium Member
That's the only evaporator cover I see listed for your model, WAS the original white? They may have discontinued WHITE for some reason.

Jake
The original evaporator cover is white.

When I search the part number actually found on the evaporator cover I received, it has been replaced by W11395558. That part is the replacement for KRFC704******* models. This model may have a grey interior rather than white.

At least pictures I see on various parts websites still show W10889360 as being white in color.

After cleaning the copper tube and reattaching the thermistor to the proper location with an additional zip tie, the RC compartment has started cooling again. Unsure if the problem is actually solved but I sure hope so.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, because your official parts list from KitchenAid says yours takes the white one: W10889360

Then if you also type your model number into Sears parts direct it shows the same white one, its #21 in the parts diagram:
After cleaning the copper tube and reattaching the thermistor to the proper location with an additional zip tie, the RC compartment has started cooling again. Unsure if the problem is actually solved but I sure hope so.
That's good news.(y)

Jake

pavan87

Premium Member
I needed to follow up one one of my older threads:

After dealing with the no cooling issue in the RC, I decided to re-run the diagnostic tests for the ice maker issue as the entire unit was allowed to defrost.

Service Test - 14 Door Ice Box Thermistor - 27
Service Test - 16 Door Ice Maker Tray Thermistor - 25
Service Test - 31 Ice Box Average Temperature - 29
Service Test - 56 FC Fan Test - On and I can hear the fan
Service Test - 57 RC Fan Test - On and I can hear the fan
Service Test - 58 Condenser Fan Test - It says "On" but I cannot hear the fan
Service Test - 59 Ice Box Fan Test - On and I can hear the fan
Service Test - 97 Door Ice Maker Valve General Test - I hear the water entering
Service test - 120 Door Ice Maker self diagnostics - Passed

I can hear the ice box fan run on test 59 now. Also, it appears the temperature of the ice box is low enough to allow it to make ice.

Any thoughts on what could be the issue with the ice maker now?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Service Test - 58 Condenser Fan Test - It says "On" but I cannot hear the fan
Pull the refrigerator out from the wall, then remove the lower back access panel and make sure your condenser fan motor is running, its mounts next to the compressor.

Your temps are too high to make the ice maker cycle own its own, it needs to be 10 degrees or lower at ALL TIMES for the ice maker to cycle own its own.

Put a freezer thermometer in the freezer and tell us what it reads in 2 hours.

Jake

pavan87

Premium Member
Jake -

I pulled the refrigerator and confirmed the condenser fan is running. It is super quiet but does indeed run.

I put a thermometer in the freezer for a few hours and it read 12 degrees. There was some ice cream in the freezer which was very soft. The freezer is currently set to 0 degrees.

What do you recommend I check next?

pavan87

Premium Member
I checked the temperature again this morning after letting the freezer sit all night and it was 18 degrees.

I ran the following diagnostic tests with the following results:

Service Test 02 - FC Thermistor - 20
Service Test 04 - FC Evaporator Thermistor - 14

The RC is 32 degrees fairly consistently per standalone thermometer.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then you have a sealed system problem.

Check your owners manual warranty, some models have a limited 5 year sealed system/compressor warranty on them.

Then, contact KitchenAid at 800-422-1230 to come out.

Jake

pavan87

Premium Member
Jake -

Is it worth it to pull the FC evaporator cover to see what the frost pattern is on the FC evaporator?

Could it also be a problem with the 3 way valve since the RC is fine and only the FC is affected.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

pavan87

Premium Member
Yes, for sure!

Yes, it could be.

Jake
Jake -

The top half of the freezer evaporator is covered in a decent amount of ice while the bottom portion has no ice formation. Please find pictures below:

IMG_8890.JPG

IMG_8896.JPG

IMG_8897.JPG

IMG_8892.JPG

I set the freezer to -3 earlier this morning and the actual temperature later in the day was about 8 degrees. The ice maker did make some ice throughout the course of the day.

What are your thoughts based on this information?

Attachments

• IMG_8896.JPG
    IMG_8896.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8896.JPG
    IMG_8896.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 32
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.