• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid KRFC704FBS00 RC Not Staying Cold

Cinder

Premium Member
Model Number
KRFC704FBS00
Brand
KitchenAid
The refrigerator portion of the unit will not constantly stay cool. I have it set to 35 and sometimes it will go down to near that temperature, other times it will be around 60. The freezer, ice maker, water dispenser all work with no issues at all. When I unplug the unit and leave it off for a few minutes and plug it back in, you can hear the compressor and fans turn on like its working and the refrigerator portion will begin to cool but wont stay on long enough and stay cool. Any help or guidance is appreciated, thank you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
There is a service bulletin on this problem, but post your serial number first. I'm attaching it below.

--->Serial Numbers: K600*- K740*
--->Possible Concern: It is possible that consumers might experience,
--->Warm temperatures in the Refrigerator Compartment
• No or slow ice production
• Noise from the compressor, evaporator fan or Refrigerator section.
• Frost or moisture on suction line at the compressor.
• Frost buildup on the Evaporators.
• Water inside the refrigerator section.
• No water from the dispenser.
• Doors not closing properly or misalignment.

On page 3:
--->It is very important to enter the diagnostics program and confirm the control is the proper version. Proceed to test 128 to read the current version. See chart below for the appropriate software version.
Control does not have to be replaced if version code correct.

Your tech. data sheet is located underneath the right side door hinge cover, it will show you how to run TEST 128.

Per the service bulletin W11033419D.

Here's the control board with software version 7.0.0 on it:

Jake

Attachments

• service-pointer-w11033419D-ice-buildup-on-evaporator.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 47

Cinder

Premium Member
Hey Jake, the S/N is K72020757. I ran diagnostics test 128 and it’s version 7.0.0 so doesn’t appear to be an issue with the control board software. Any recommendation on what to check next? Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, per that service bulletin look on Page 4--->2. Remove the RC Evaporator cover to verify the gasket type is the correct version

Evaporator Cover Part W10815735 has been replaced with Refrigerator Evaporator Cover W11167902 which also includes the fan motor and the evaporator thermistor.

Also Page 6--->Check the Refrigerator section evaporator thermistor for proper contact with the tubing. Then look on page 7.

That has also been a major problem that would cause this too, look here:

Jake

Cinder

Premium Member
Hey Jake,
I’ve got it taken apart and am about ready to remove the RC evaporator cover. Quick question, if the gasket is fine after removing will it still seal properly. Just want to verify before I remove it and worried I’d have to replace the whole cover. Thanks for all your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Cinder

Premium Member
Hey Jake,
I took the evaporator cover off and the gasket is the new updated one, so I don't think that's the issue. The thermistor looked fine, from what I could tell. There wasn't too much of a build up of ice on the coils, just the top layer that you see in the picture. There was a pretty large build up of ice on the suction tube (about 2 inches thick). I defrosted it all and placed the evaporator cover back in place and let the fridge run for the last 2 days. I ran Service Test 28 to get the RC's average temperature and it was displaying at 35, however using two different thermometers inside the RC they both read 45 degrees. So I ran Service Test 01 RC Thermistor which read 33, then ran Service Test 03 RC Evaporator Thermistor which read 44. So it appears the issue the RC thermistor?
If you think that may be it, would you know where I could find a replacement RC Thermistor and where in the RC its located?
Thanks again for all the help!
IMG_4577.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, and the R(refrigerator)C(compartment) evaporator fan motor is running?

I see only one thermistor in the RC which only comes with the evaporator cover assembly--->Refrigerator Evaporator Cover W11167902 which also includes the fan motor and the evaporator thermistor.

Jake

Cinder

Premium Member
The fridge compartment evaporator fan motor runs when forced using service test 57. When I powered the unit back up the fan turned on for a minute then turned off. About five minutes later it turned back on and stayed on long enough to cool the fridge to the set temperature but after a while it’s not maintaining the set temperature.
Thanks again

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, so that seems to prove the RC thermistor is the culprit.

Jake

Cinder

Premium Member
Would I be able to replace just the thermistor or would I have to buy the evaporator cover that includes it. Thanks again for all your help, really appreciate it

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, that thermistor does not come separately, it only comes with the evaporator cover assembly--->Refrigerator Evaporator Cover W11167902 which also includes the fan motor and the evaporator thermistor.

Jake

Cinder

Premium Member
Ordered the part but the wiring harness is different compared to my current evaporator cover. Can’t plug in the new one at all. The picture with 3 is the currently installed evaporator cover the picture with 2 is the newly ordered one.

Attachments

• B699C715-DB4F-477D-B4A6-4EC4D1295E60.jpeg
    B699C715-DB4F-477D-B4A6-4EC4D1295E60.jpeg
    364.7 KB · Views: 35
  • C509B451-E322-4E39-A6EE-FDCEE679702F.jpeg
    C509B451-E322-4E39-A6EE-FDCEE679702F.jpeg
    339.1 KB · Views: 32

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.