• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid KRMF706ESS01 - Freezer and Refrigerator not cooling enough

raymlonas

Model Number
KRMF706ESS01
Brand
KitchenAid
Hey Folks,

I have a KRMF706ESS01, which recently started showing temps in the refrigerator around 45 degrees, and in the freezer around 15 degrees.

Looking into the freezer, the evap coil was completely frozen over, and the fan was making some noise while hitting ice (so i know that fan is at least running). This happened a couple months ago, and after a manual defrost, the unit worked well until now. Tech at the time said someone likely left a door open, but it doesn't seem likely that's the case again.

I checked the FC fan, and it's blowing consistently, as is the fan on the back of the unit near the compressor.

Based on some notes here: https://www.applianceblog.com/mainf...-up-no-long-defrost-option.83176/#post-417259 and here: https://www.applianceblog.com/mainf...ting-freezing-up-no-long-defrost-option.81572, I ran a few tests.

I ran test 6, which returned 03, and after leaving it a couple minutes, i did feel quite a bit of heat coming from the defrost, so it seems like the defrost heater is working (it got very very hot after a couple minutes)
I also ran test 77, which returned 01
Running test 38 - shows OF to start. i can set it to SH, but. LO is not an option. After a bit the heater unit does start to heat up while running this test. Seems to take a few minutes.

Any ideas on what else I can check here? I expect now that I've defrosted it, it will work fine for a while until I get the next frost up happening and would like to prevent that. Appreciate any help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Since the defrost heater came on, that means your defrost thermistor and defrost heater are fine, so that leaves just the main control board as the culprit.

Here's the main control board for your model you can order:
Main Control Board WPW10675033

Jake