• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kitchenaid KRMF706ESS01 Ice Maker stopped and freezer thawed

gelaro

Premium Member
Model Number
KRMF706ESS01
Brand
KitchenAid
I have a four year old KitchenAid KRMF706ESS01. The icemaker was the first indication something was wrong. It made no ice after coming back from a week's vacation. This morning we noticed the freezer has thawed even though the temp is set to -5. I have a thermometer in the fridge to see what the temp is there.

I have run the diagnostics. 45 fills the tray. 57 gives E5 error. Everthing else seems to be fine as much as I can tell.

An ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What is the temperature your thermometer says it is in your freezer section right now?

Do you see frost build-up on the back panel inside the freezer? Do you hear the freezer fan motor running?

Jake

gelaro

Premium Member
The fridge is 50 and the freezer is 42 my wife says. I will have to look for frost. The fan in the back is running but is that the freezer fan?

gelaro

Premium Member
The fan in the freezer compartment is running. The temp is now around 60 in both compartments.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Pull the refrigerator out from the wall, then remove the lower back access panel and put your hand on the top of the compressor and see if its running, also see if the condenser fan next to the compressor is running too.

Jake

gelaro

Premium Member
The compressor is running (slight vibration and hot to the touch). The fan next to it is running. The fan in the freezer is not currently running and there is no frost build up on the back of the freezer wall. Some of the lights are now blinking or turning off at times when you open the door.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
There is a service bulletin about this problem, it says to check your deli door user interface board for spillage underneath it, thus shorting it out and causing the lights problem.

Erratic dispenser and/or ice maker operation
Deli Control display changes
Door ajar light and/or beep won’t turn off
Erratic User Interface operation

Here it is for your model:
User Control and Display Board WPW10769076

Its in-stock here: WPW10769076

There is a video in the part link that shows you how to remove it to check for spillage underneath it, ALSO remove the wires that go to it and see if all those problems go away.:)

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The compressor is running (slight vibration and hot to the touch).
You have another problem if the compressor is super hot to the touch, that's usually a sign of a bad compressor.

Jake

gelaro

Premium Member
Thanks. I will look at that deli drawer today. Hopefully that's the problem with that. My wife told me that has been happening for a couple weeks but I didn't know about it. As for the compressor, It's not super hot. I can hold my hand on it for at least a few seconds with no problem.

If it is the compressor is it true that you basically have to throw the refrigerator away and buy a new one?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
As for the compressor, It's not super hot. I can hold my hand on it for at least a few seconds with no problem.
You should be able to hold your hand on it for as long as you want, not just a few seconds.:)

Also, check your condenser coil and see if its clogged with lint/dirt, they recommend you to clean the condenser coil every 6 months even if there is nothing wrong with the refrigerator or freezer temps, if you have pets that shed hair, then every 3-6 months.:)

Get a vacuum cleaner attachment or condenser brush to clean your condenser. Even better would be if you have an air compressor or shop vac to blow the condenser coils out, yes its a bit more messy on your kitchen floor, but it cleans it thoroughly.:)

Pull the lower front kickplate off and the condenser coils are behind that.

Vacuum Hose Attachment 8171579A

Long Handled Bristle Brush 5303318693

Jake

gelaro

Premium Member
Thanks for the help.

I called a repair place who said it is probably under warranty if it is the compressor, so I called KitchenAid and they said the compressor is under warrant (parts not labor). So someone is coming on Friday. In the meantime, I am still searching for answers.

First I pulled the fridge back out and felt the compressor. Either it is different or I was misremembering because now it is just warm, not hot all. I can hold my hand on it with no problem at all for any length of time. It is vibrating.

I cleaned the coil underneath with a shop vac to both suck it and blow and then I used an actual air compressor with a blower attachment. So they are much cleaner than they were.

I pulled that drawer panel off and there is no water underneath the panel. t is very dry. There is water underneath the two drawers themselves which my wife says has been there fairly regularly from the beginning. The deli drawer panel doesn't light up at all right now. Is the water under the light panel or under the drawers? Is there any solution to the water under the drawers?

Given that the compressor isn't running as hot as I thought it was, does that give you a reason to look for some problem beside the compressor? Like an electrical problem? A thermistor of some sort?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, if the compressor is running warm and not hot, that's a good sign.

For the Deli display not lighting up, go back to post #7 and remove the wires from it and see if everything goes back to normal.

Jake

gelaro

Premium Member
I unplugged the deli display and plugged it back in but nothing changed still no lights. The service technician came today and said the compressor is bad. It is low on refrigerant which means it is probably leaky. He said this model is under a parts and labor warranty from KitchenAid so they will replace it however he thinks there will still be other problems.

I asked him what the best refrigerators were and he said that short of a very high end refrigerator they are all made using the same parts so just get the cheapest thing. The price difference is just the bells and whistles not the main components. He says they are not built to last very long these days. Do you think that is true?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I asked him what the best refrigerators were and he said that short of a very high end refrigerator they are all made using the same parts so just get the cheapest thing. The price difference is just the bells and whistles not the main components. He says they are not built to last very long these days. Do you think that is true?
Yes, I agree with him.

The Whirlpool and Maytag refrigerators are very reliable, the lowest price one is best(without the bells and whistles). He is absolutely right!

In my kitchen I have the Basic Whirlpool Side by Side, no bells and no whistles on mine, I paid $999 for it brand new in April 2014 and not a single problem has occurred.:)

I have the basic ice maker in it in my freezer side and it has a ice/water dispenser on the freezer door.

Jake

gelaro

Premium Member
Thanks. I will remember that for next time. Hopefully the compressor replacement will make it last for a while.