• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid KRSC503ESS refrigerator side had lots of ice build up at the bottom

mog61

Premium Member
Model Number
KRSC503ESS
Brand
KitchenAid
The refrigerator side is developing ice at the bottom of the back panel behind the crispers, on the inside of the fridge. There is no water leak visible so I dont think there is any ice build on the exterior rear though I have not pulled the appliance out from its place and checked behind.. Also the one light on the side next to the crispers is flickering. I am not sure if the two problems are related. The freezer is working fine. Every few weeks I shut the fridge down and let the ice melt. How do I fix this? Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Another member had this similar issue on his, Here's what I mentioned to do:

mog61

Premium Member
Thanks, This looks very helpful. I will follow those steps and let you know how it went.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake

mog61

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

I opened the back panel with the controller and also the panel below it. The fan in the lower panel is not working. As for checking this "At the wire harness connector labeled P14 pin 3(blue wire) and pin 4(gray) you should be getting 14 volts DC" I am not sure how to do that. The multimeter leads seem too thick. Maybe I need to buy super thin ones or is there a trick to this? I have attached a picture of the PCB.

Thanks,

Sam

pcb.jpg

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
As for checking this "At the wire harness connector labeled P14 pin 3(blue wire) and pin 4(gray) you should be getting 14 volts DC" I am not sure how to do that. The multimeter leads seem too thick. Maybe I need to buy super thin ones or is there a trick to this?
Use this safety pin trick:
safety pin 500x250.jpg

Not sure what I did or perhaps I did nothing but now the fan is working.
Was it just a loose connection?

mog61

Premium Member
It could have been a loose connection. When I couldnt use the multimeter leads I started to pull the connector out. I build a lot of PCs not repair refrigerators but a board is a board. So I pulled it out and reconnected. Two things happened. The led light at the bottom of the fridge that was flickering now went off permanently and the fan started working.

I am going to let this run for two days and see if ice builds up. If I understand the circuit diagram correctly the lights are powered through the board. Not sure why since they come on or off based on the mechanical opening and closing of the door and require no other intelligence.

Anyway.... I will let you know what happens in two days. I have ordered a replacement LED light.

mog61

Premium Member
24 hours later, the fan is still working and ice is still building up. So I am now ordering the Thermistor. Thanks for the safety pin trick for the leads. I will have to try that :)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
24 hours later, the fan is still working and ice is still building up. So I am now ordering the Thermistor.
Ok, sounds good.

If I understand the circuit diagram correctly the lights are powered through the board. Not sure why since they come on or off based on the mechanical opening and closing of the door and require no other intelligence.

Anyway.... I will let you know what happens in two days. I have ordered a replacement LED light.
Yes, the bottom LED light at the bottom of the refrigerator if that is completely out and the others are working, then you'd just need to replace that non-working LED light.

Here it is for your model:

Here's another member that had the same issue and the new LED light fixed it:

mog61

Premium Member
Soo I was away from home for a few days. I received the new parts but have not installed them as yet. But in the past few days there has been no freezing. Could this still be a thermistor issue? A damaged controller? a loose connection? How do I figure this out?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's the problem, intermittent problems are almost impossible to nail down, check all your wire connections first.

mog61

Premium Member
So new notes. KitchenAid sucks big time. To replace the thermistor, wow!!! I had just about an inch of cable to work with. I had to cut the old thermistor cable right at the thermistor itself to preserve cable length. Is there a trick to tug and pull more cable out? Also the original cable quality is very poor. The wire just crumbles. After much care and effort that felt like neurosurgery I have the new thermistor attached. All worked well but today I see ice again. One thing I know. Never buying a KitchenAid again. 10 years, 2 ice makers replaced, several other repairs and now this. Ugh!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is there a trick to tug and pull more cable out?
Not that I'm aware of, I usually add a little extra wire for more slack. 14 guage wire is fine, any hardware store should have it.

Solder the added wire, then move the heat shrink over the solder joint and shrink for a tight fit.

Or use wire butt connector with that added wire instead of soldering it.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.