• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid KRSC503ESS01 Side by Side Refrigerator - evap coil freezing solid on refrigerator side

JSS22

Premium Member
A little, I’ll clean it up.
E3968E1F-8166-4F32-8761-CA419614D0E1.jpeg

JSS

JSS22

Premium Member
Yes, it sure seems that way. Is there anything I need to watch out for when replacing the control board? I'll get one ordered.

JSS

JSS22

Premium Member
I also measured temps on test 04 in service mode. I got the following:

Test Freezer Refrigerator evap coil
01- Home the valve 1.9 33
02- Close RC/FC valve 6.2 33
03- Compressor ON 6.2 32
04- Valve to RC pos+RC fan -0.7 38
05- Valve to FC pos+FC fan 5 22

Do these values appear correct? Or could this also be a control board issue?

JSS

JSS22

Premium Member
For test 4, I used an infrared thermometer and for segment 01 where the valve is initialized I got 1.9 degrees in the freezer and 33 degrees at the fridge evap coils that you can see at the bottom.
For segment 02 and 03 no real temp change, I got 6 degrees in the freezer and 33 degrees at the fridge coil.
For segment 04, I got a decrease in the freezer down to -0.7 degrees and a rise in the refrigerator coil to 38 degrees
For segment 05, The freezer was at 5 degrees and the refrigerator coil was at 22 degrees.

JSS

JSS22

Premium Member
Because I was opening the doors to measure temp with the IR thermometer, I repeated the test with a thermistor probe in the refrigerator evap coil and kept the door closed so as not to let warm air in skewing results and I got the following for test 4:

Step 01 - 33 degrees
Step 02 - 33 degrees
Step 03 - 33 degrees
Step 04 - started at 33 degrees, then dropped to 27 degrees
Step 05 - started at 27 degrees and kept dropping down to 18 degrees
After getting out of Test 4, temp came back up to 33 degrees.

Step 05 is the only one that I thought was strange, as the fridge evap coil kept dropping in temp until I ended the test.

JSS

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Oh OK, I got it. Kind of like Test 4A (Optional).... lol. So what did that tell you that you didn't already know? I can see where it's a double check step. That's cool!

JSS22

Premium Member
I'm not sure how to interpret the readings I got. It appeared to function like it should steps 1-4 but it was strange on step 5, where the refrigerator evap coil temp kept dropping. Either there was some residual pressure getting through the expansion valve and dropping the coil temp since the fan stopped running on the fridge side (as per the test), or the valve keeps sending refrigerant to the fridge side when it is supposed to be going to the freezer only. I just want to be sure that replacing the control board will fix my problem.

JSS