• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid KSCS25FTMS02 , Refrigerator Not cooling, only at the bottom section

Adel. S.

Premium Member
Model Number
KSCS25FTMS02
Brand
KitchenAid
my refrigerator and is only cold on the very bottom section, after doing my trouble shooting , I found out that the Evaporator fan (motor) was not working so I bought not one, but two of them installed them, but they the evaporator fan will not turn on? Can anyone tell me what else could cause the evaporator fan not to turn on? Stuck at home due to the COVAD-19 Stay at home order, in Los Angeles County, Torrance., can not get a service technician to come out, please help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, The only way to know is to check voltage to the evaporator fan motor.

You will need a multimeter to test voltage to the evaporator(freezer) fan motor, at the electrical connector that plugs into it.

So that means you'll need to remove everything from the freezer and remove the shelves too, then remove the back access panel inside the freezer and you will see your evaporator fan motor above your evaporator coil. Remove the electrical connector that goes to it, then put one meter probe in each of the connector holes and see what you meter says.

It should be about 12 volts DC when the refrigerator is on and running. If so, order the evaporator fan motor.

Here's the evaporator fan motor for your model:
W10822580 Motor-Evap

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If you are not getting 12 Volts DC at the evaporator fan motor, then your control board is the problem.

The original control board for this model has been discontinued, its been replaced by this Service Kit below.

Electronic Control Board Service Kit W10823803

Jake

Adel. S.

Premium Member
Hi Jake;
Thank you very much for your replay, I have replaced the Evaporator fan, in fact i ordered two of them thinking the first one was do a, but it still does not turn on, the freezer get cold in the bottom section, since there is no air flow from fan, the fridge, only in bottom third gets somewhat cold, after a week freezer coil gets full of frost, so i have to unplug it.
What controls the evaporator fan? does temperature Control Thermostat, control the evaporator fan?
I am stuck at home, can only order parts, online, I am doing the repair myself, and new at this. Can't find anyone, and kind of don't want anyone in the house, we are all on stay at home orders in Los Angeles. Worst time for my fridge to go out.
Any help is much appreciated, should I check the plug that the fan goes into to see if there is any power there?
Thank you again,
Adel

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you will definity need a multimeter to see if your getting the proper voltage to that evaporator fan motor.

Yes, like I said above--->If you are NOT getting 12 Volts DC at the evaporator fan motor electrical connector, then your control board is the problem.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks, you too!

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Adel. S.

Premium Member
Jake, could anything else, besides that be the problem, I don't want to order that if not the issue, i will be stuck with it, and don't know when I will be able to go back to work, so $400 is a lot right now.
How about a unit taken out of another fridge? should I try buying a used one? that is where I bough the two evaporator fans from,
Thanks,

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's all it can be Adel, a bad control board, if your NOT getting 12 Volts DC at the evaporator fan motor electrical connector.

I know its expensive, and with the age of your refrigerator, It would be better to retire your refrigerator and buy a new or used refrigerator.

If you buy used--->I always recommend buying used appliances from a reputable used appliance store in your area that's been in business for years and give you at least 30 day warranty, some will give you 60-90 days warranty, and you will know you can always go back to the used appliance store if any problems arise.

Jake