• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kitchenaid KSCS25INWH01 not defrosting

johnnyspeed

Premium Member
Hi, I have a Kitchenaid that has a issue the mod. Is KSCS25INWH01 ser. #ST4432763 the service and wiring sheet is # 2223419v this all started after the refer. Door got left open a little bit over night, I think it is coincidental. The evaporator coil will frost up on the fins and ice up on the sides really bad in about 3 to 4 days after I remove the back cover and de-thaw it with a hair dryer. I have had to do this 3 times now, the freezer set @ 6 degrees and the refrigerator set @ 35 degrees, I have checked the air damper and it is not froze up and is open. The one funny thing that I have notice is the drain in the bottom will freeze closed, I can pour water through it once the little ice plug melts when I am defrosting it. I ran it through the diagnostic check after it was at normal operating temp and everything was ok till I got to step #7 it said the bi-metal was open, the chart said to bypass it, how do I do that? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks JD

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
To bypass the bi-metal, you would disconnect the wires from it and join them together with electrical tape, or if you don't have quick disconnects on it, you would cut the wires away from the bi-metal and use a wire nut to spice them together.

Jake

johnnyspeed

Premium Member
Jake,
I was a little hesitant about cutting the wires so I figured a better start asking some questions. So now when I do the diagnostic check with the bi-metal by passed the heater elements should come on rite? And the read out should indicate the switch is closed now rite? How hot or warm do the elements get? If that all checks out good am I to assume that the bi-metal is bad?<O:p</O:p
Thanks JD

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So now when I do the diagnostic check with the bi-metal by passed the heater elements should come on rite?
Correct.

And the read out should indicate the switch is closed now rite?
Correct.

How hot or warm do the elements get?
It will get pretty hot, don't touch it, it will burn your fingers.

If that all checks out good am I to assume that the bi-metal is bad?
Yes.

Here's the defrost Bi-Metal for your model:
Manufacturer part#2321799 is RepairClinic item#1399517

Jake

johnnyspeed

Premium Member
Ok, I by passed the by-metal and the heater did come on but the read out still said the the switch was open. dose that mean the board is bad?
Thanks JD

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Possibly, can you take off the by-pass and let it get cold again then check it in a couple hours?

After the bi-metal gets cold again, you can also ohm the bi-metal for continuity.

Jake

johnnyspeed

Premium Member
I will try that, I am leaveving for the weekend rite now so it will half to be monday.
thanks for am the help and enjoy your labor day.
JD

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok JD, sounds good.

Happy Labor Day Weekend.:)

Jake

johnnyspeed

Premium Member
Ok, after a great weekend I wake up this morning @6am to nice warm fridge and cold freezer. The bi-metal is good and cold, so I tested it for continuity and it had none.
So is the switch is bad and the diagnostic checker is lieing to me?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then that means your bi-metal is the problem. Order it and change it.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.:)

Keep us posted.

Jake

johnnyspeed

Premium Member
Thank you Thank you Thank you

Jake, <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
I put the new bi-metal switch in the other day and it is working like champ now. I have been keeping an eye on it and last night when I checked it was in the defrost cycle, Oh what a glorious sight that was!!! I even went rite to your store and picked the parts up on the way home, the people were very happy and friendly. <o:p></o:p>
Thank you so much.<o:p></o:p>
JD<o:p></o:p>

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent JD, good job.:)

Your near Canton, MI?:)

Yes, they are wonderful folks working there.:)

Here's their address, in case others are close by too:

RepairClinic.com
48600 Michigan Avenue
Canton, MI 48188-2242

Click here for directions

Business Hours:
Monday through Sunday 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m., Eastern Time
Note: To order online for local pickup, please place your order by 5:00 p.m. Monday through Sunday

Jake