• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kitchenaid KSDB900ESS broiler comes on for about 1-2 minutes and quits

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvrbulls

Premium Member
Model Number
KSDB900ESS
Brand
KitchenAid
This range is 6 years old. The cooktop works fine. Oven bake is working properly. The broiler element will come on, get cherry red... and then turn completely off. At first my wife could open the oven door for a few minutes and then get the broiler element to come back on; now... not so much.

We are about 75 miles from the nearest available service, so I would like to give fixing it myself a try before making THE call! Any suggestions?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

We need the complete model number, here's the results I get:
KSDB900ESS0
KSDB900ESS1
KSDB900ESS2
KSDB900ESS3
KSDB900ESS4
KSDB900ESS5

Read it from the model number tag, which should be located on the bottom leg frame after you pull out the storage drawer.

When this problem happens do you have it on LOW or HIGH broil setting?

Jake

pvrbulls

Premium Member
Sorry for the delay, but my computer "died" Tuesday night and it's taken me this long to get back online.

First, an update. It turns out that the whole problem was an "operator error"! We never use the broiler as it is normally used to cook meats; we cook those on the grill. My wife uses the broiler occasionally to brown the topping of a cake. What she will do, sometimes, is take the cake out of the baking oven, let it cool for a few minutes, apply the topping, then...without having cancelled the bake setting of 350 degrees... she will press the Broil setting and then hit Start which then shows a reading of 500 degrees Broil. But, as reported in my first post, the broiler element does not want to stay on for very long. I discovered that, when starting with a cold oven, the Broil function works perfectly. Apparently, the Bake function must be cancelled before activating the Broil function. That bit of information is not in the user manual.

Second, the complete model number is KSDB900ESS0...which is NOT found on the bottom leg frame! I discovered this AFTER removing the lower oven drawer(not a storage drawer). The model number is conveniently located at the top of the upper oven and can be viewed by simply opening the door! :)

Jake, I want to thank you for this site and your help. Without it, I would probably have told my wife to just call for service. You are providing a very helpful service that, I am certain, is much appreciated by many!

Zane

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Zane, glad to hear nothing was really wrong with it (y)

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.