• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kitchenaid KSF26C7XYY00 Refrigerator side frosting up

Status
Not open for further replies.

MEG_AGI

Premium Member
Model Number
KSF26C7XYY00
Brand
KitchenAid
Background: In September 2020, I had frost in my refrigerator side of my Kitchenaid KSF26C7XYY00 (Side by Side built in 2011). The freezer side was working properly. I had a appliance technician look at it and he stated it was the Thermistor (W10323459). It worked fine for about a month and then refrosted up. The same appliance technician came back and stated they had gotten a group of incorrectly labeled parts. He replaced it with a corrected part. This time it worked for approximately 3 months, and then refrosted up again. This time the technician adjusted thermistor and then crimped it on the tubing. I assumed he had read the service bulletin about the positioning of the thermistor. See attached photo of where the technician placed the thermistor. He also changed the defrost time from automatic to 8 hours.

On March 6th, approximately 3 months later, the refrig side was frosted again. So I removed all the contains in both the refrig and the freezer and did a complete clean of the unit. It was nice to have a clean refrig, especially after removing some frozen items that had been in there awhile!! I was hesitant to call the technician back again, because I was unsure he knew what to do since he had 3 prior times.

After the manual defrosting, a thermometer was placed in the middle of the top shelf. It displayed the temp and also showed the HI and LOW temp. This ranged from 32 to 40, for a 24 hour period. I did place one of these in my 22+ year old GE side-by-side that is in our garage. For a 24 hour period, it had a range from 33 to 34. Certainly not the deviation that I saw in the Kitchenaid but maybe that is just the difference in appliance built 22 years ago versus appliance built more recently --not sure. Certainly this is just a snapshot and not as accurate as a device I've seen others use that records the temps continuously.

Now, 8 weeks later, the refrig side is frosted again.

I'm going to defrost it. Is there something that this recurring problem point to? One question, about the attached photo, shouldn't that wrap be wrapped around the tubing? Also please review the thermistor location. Is it properly positioned?

Thanks,

MEG_AGI

Attachments

• PXL_20210307_213244335.jpg
    PXL_20210307_213244335.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 53

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I assumed he had read the service bulletin about the positioning of the thermistor.
I don't see your model number listed in that service flash. I don't see the thermistor in your pic. Make sure it's not covered with the thermal mastic. Slide it down so nothing is touching it.

MEG_AGI

Premium Member
Thanks for the response.

Attached is a better picture of the thermistor location. Do you think it is located too close to the tape?

Also attached is a picture of the ice build-up I was getting. I had been watching the temps on the thermometer and decided to take a look when I saw them rising.

It is heavily covered at the top.

It appears the technician placed zip ties on taped portion to keep the tape wrapped around the connection to the Evaporator.

Thanks,

MEG_AGI

Attachments

• PXL_20210501_023738267.jpg
    PXL_20210501_023738267.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 52
  • PXL_20210501_022230923.jpg
    PXL_20210501_022230923.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 53

MEG_AGI

Premium Member
Last night, I defrosted the refrig compartment.

I have let it run for about 11 hours now and the temps are showing around 40. I adjusted the control board temp to a colder setting (33) just to see if it would get colder. After an hour, it has made little difference.

In looking at other threads, I'm wondering if my thermistor is in the correct position. Should it be where it is located or should it be on the larger "copper" tubing?

Attached is a photo my thermistor location.

Thanks,

MEG_AGI

Attachments

• Thermistor.png
    Thermistor.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 48

MEG_AGI

Premium Member
I thought I had a photo of it before the repair, but it appears I don't. And I must admit I didn't pay close enough attention to know.

I learned I should take a photo before any future repairs.

As info freezer side is -15. So it appears to be cooling the freezer properly. That is why I was thinking the thermistor may be incorrectly positioned and therefore not getting a proper reading.

MEG_AGI

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
Move it about 6" from the thermal mastic on the same line. Make sure there are no air leaks around the cover and make sure the fan is working.

MEG_AGI

Premium Member
I was out over the weekend.

I placed the thermistor as you suggested. Hopefully this will correct the frost-up condition.

Overnight, the temperature variance is from 41 to 31. That seems like a wide range.

This unit has a thermistor in the right side wall of the compartment under a plastic cover. What does it control? Does it control the "call for cooling"?

Again, I appreciate the assistance with the defrost portion.

MEG_AGI

rickgburton

Staff member
R-displayswitch numbers (2).jpg

To enter diagnostics mode, press SW1 and SW2 simultaneously for 3 seconds.

Release both buttons when you hear the CHIME indicator.

Machine must not be in lockout prior to entering the service mode.

The display will show “01” to indicate the control is in step one of the diagnostics routine.

Each step must be manually advanced.

Use SW5 to advance to the next step or SW4 to go back to the previous test.

The step number is shown first followed by the status of that step two seconds later.

When the step number is being shown, the “Amber LED” will be on. When the status of that step is being shown, the “Red LED” will be on.

To exit service test mode, wait 20 minutes or unplug the machine.

Test "01" is the FC thermistor. The board will check the resistance of the thermistor and display the results in the RC temperature display.
01=PASS 02=OPEN 03=SHORT

Test "02" is the RC thermistor.

To test an individual thermistor, place the thermistor in a small glass of crushed ice and water. Wait about 90 seconds. This will bring the temp of the thermistor close to 32°F. Measure the resistance of the thermistor. @ 32°F the thermistor should read 8.8KΩ (8,800 Ohms).

MEG_AGI

Premium Member
We have been out of town. Upon returning, the temps seem to be good.

After moving the thermistor, like you suggested, the temps in the RC are much better. They are now between 32 and 37.

I appreciate your assistance.

MEG_AGI

Status
Not open for further replies.