• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kitchenaid KSRA25FKSS00 Fridge side not cooling

Sugar Royale

Premium Member
The fridge side of my side by side is not cooling properly. I noticed on 8/23 that the motor was running constantly. Last night the overtemp alarm went off but I thought it was due to the fact that I just put in two roasted chickens and a pot of bacon corn chowder. This am the alarm was sounding again. I put in a thermometer and I'm getting a 55ºF reading. The freezer seems to be working just fine but there is a small amount of frost built up on the bottom freezer vent.

From reading this forum It seems like it might be the air diffuser—almost no air is coming out of it now—and what is coming out is wet. But before ordering an $80 part I'm wondering if I should I turn the thing off and defrost first?

Thanks for your help!:)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Sugar,

Lets first check your diffuser, as you said no cold air was coming out from its vent on the upper left side in your refrigerator, it may be stuck closed, get something to stick in there, like a small pocket screwdriver or pen/pencil and see if the cold starts coming out.

Here's the diffuser for your model, in case you need to order it:
Whirlpool WP2216112 Air Diffuser - AppliancePartsPros.com

Jake

Sugar Royale

Premium Member
Checked the diffuser...

HI Jake-
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Well, not sure if I stuck my screwdriver in the right space:confused:I tried the four vents and a little air started coming out. If the door to the freezer is open more air comes out but if it's closed it's definitely a weaker air flow coming out. To me it feels like it's a pretty weak flow with the freezer door open but there is air flow. I'm a novice so I'm not sure what the standard is.

I decided to do a manual defrost since I had to move everything in the fridge to our basement fridge—figured I'd move the freezer stuff too. I took off the the panel in the freezer to get a look at the frost build up and it's fairly well frozen up with frost and ice, a couple of icicles.

One other thing, when I removed the casing surrounding the diffuser there is water dripping down along the wall of the fridge where it's attached making believe something might be frozen. It's been defrosting for about an hour before I did the diffuser check. Our house has AC going so it might just be condensation but it's dripping so that's why I'm thinking ice.

Any other insights would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Sugar

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
How frosted up was the evaporator coils in the freezer? To where you couldn't see them at all?

Jake

Sugar Royale

Premium Member
Hi Jake-
Well the fridge is defrosted...the water filled the overflow tray underneath. It was pretty solid with ice. I've got it plugged in and the fridge portion is down to 39ºF. The compressor is not running constantly and isn't sounding labored as it was before defrosting. I'll see where I'm at in the morning. I guess I don't understand why there was so much frost & ice built up. Could there be something else wrong? It's a self defrosting unit. I did have it packed with stuff in the freezer portion could lack of air circulation be a problem. :confused: I'll post what the temp is in the am. Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you may have a bad part in your auto-defrost system.

There should be a tech. data sheet behind your front kickplate grille, I'm attaching the online one for your model below.

I always run the service diagnostics mode and see if the defrost heater comes on in step 6. But you will need to perform this when the freezer gets cold again, like let it run overnight.

If the defrost heater comes on, then its possibly the control board thats bad.

Here's the control board for your model:
Whirlpool 8201664 Electronic Control Board

Jake

Attachments

• Wiring Sheet - 2216445.pdf
    636 KB · Views: 166