• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid KSSC48MHS00 condensation issue and Evap circulator fan issue

matttt

Premium Member
Model Number
KSSC48MHS00
Brand
KitchenAid
I have had this KitchenAid KSSC48MHS00 built in refrigerator for over 10 years. Due to it's size, it is not an easy replace in my custom kitchen that was built years ago. I am having a problem with condensation building up inside the cabinets. In the freezer, it is just frozen to the walls. In the refrigerator, it is water droplets mostly hanging from the top of the cabinet. I've also noticed that every time I pull the drain pan out from underneath, it is nearly full of water. Some people have suggested this is a door gasket problem, but I have looked at the gaskets and they are all in good condition, not torn or crooked. How can I tell definitively if the door gaskets are sealing to the cabinet if they appear in good condition?

This problem mostly rears it's head when it is very hot and/or humid weather, as it has been for weeks now here in Socal.

When the doors are opened, and the refrig is in use when cooking, there are times the refrig compartment has a hard time maintaining temp. I have nailed this issue down to when this happens, the evaporator circulation fan that is in the freezer starts running at a lower speed. It is spinning, just not at full speed. I put my hand up to the top left corner in the fridge where the air comes from the evaporator/freezer and I feel virtually no air coming in. When the fan is running full speed, you can feel the cool air coming in the fridge. I commented on 1 other thread in this forum that was about the same issue, but it appears that person in the other post never found a solution. Anyone found a solution for this sort of problem?

The last time the evap fan did this, I pulled the evaporator cover off the back wall and found a core with normal frost on it and the fan in question above it spinning. After about 45 seconds of being exposed, the fan ramped up it's speed to full speed. I put it all back together and have been good to go since.

I'm hoping someone here has BTDT with one of these large built in refrigerators. A couple years back, the "sealed system" sprung a leak on the tubing between the compressor and the evaporator. New lines were installed at that time and this was converted to a "non sealed system" now. I found a tech that was willing and able to install charging ports in the refrigeration lines so it can be serviced and recharged moving forward so I'm kind of invested into this thing now. Thank you for any and all assistance.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
matttt said:
every time I pull the drain pan out from underneath, it is nearly full of water. Some people have suggested this is a door gasket problem, but I have looked at the gaskets and they are all in good condition, not torn or crooked.

If the door seal(s) are leaking, it would cause more frost to develop on the evaporator coil and thus result in more defrost water in the drain pan after a defrost. It could also result in poor cooling at times.

How can I tell definitively if the door gaskets are sealing to the cabinet if they appear in good condition?

I don't know about definitely but one test to see if refrigerator door seals are leaking is to put a dollar bill under the seal and close the door on it. When the bill is pull out (with the door still closed), there should be some tension on the bill. It should not just fall out. Do that test around the whole perimeter of the door.

Some people suggest at night putting a bright light inside the fridge and closing the doors. Then looking for signs of light escaping around the edge of the closed doors. There should be none.

If your model has an ice dispenser, air leaking though the dispenser mechanism is common as well.

matttt said:
the evaporator circulation fan that is in the freezer starts running at a lower speed. It is spinning, just not at full speed.

The evaporator motor in that model appears to be a 120VAC motor and should turn at the same speed all the time unlike DC motor that may have variable speeds. Your motor may be failing.

LINK > KitchenAid KSSC48MHS00 Evaporator Fan Motor

Dan O.

Last edited:

matttt

Premium Member
Thank you for the suggestions. I will try the dollar bill or light inside to check the seals. If the seals are in good condition, is there a way to adjust the doors into alignment so they seal against the cabinet better?

There is no ice dispenser on this model, so it's just a solid freezer door.

You would certainly think the evap fan motor starting to fail would be the likely cause, but I don't think that is it. In the other thread on this forum that I replied in, that person replaced the motor but had no change and the same exact problem persisted after the replacement motor was installed. I'm not one to just throw parts at a problem and hope to get lucky in hitting the mark. It's like throwing darts at balloons, some hit and some don't. I will link the other thread I am mentioning in another reply here. Thanks again for the suggestions and help.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
matttt said:
is there a way to adjust the doors into alignment so they seal against the cabinet better?

That would depend on what door misalignment was responsible for the air leak.

You would certainly think the evap fan motor starting to fail would be the likely cause

No I wouldn't think it is the cause in your case but it definitely is a problem if the motor ever doesn't run at full speed.

matttt said:
In the other thread on this forum that I replied in

Either post there or here. The forum doesn't need the same conversation being discussed in multiple places.

JMO

Dan O.