• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid KSSS48QDW04 - Compressor Runs But No Power to Evaporator Fan

Bandar

Premium Member
Model Number
KSSS48QDW04
Brand
KitchenAid
Noticed refrigerator side warming up and water dripping from ice maker area so emptied freezer and removed cover over evaporator coils to investigate. No ice buildup and coil area cold. Restarted unit after the time it took to remove everything and expose the coils and fan. The compressor came on and the coils got cold but the fan did not start. There is no voltage to the fan motor. Removed the fan and wired it up to a 120v source and it works nicely without noise and bearings are nice. Removed defrost thermostat snap switch and tested it by freezing it and it tested fine. I have removed the top area cover to expose the compressor and defrost timer and all of the wiring in that area and I cannot visually spot any wire that looks like the smaller red/white wire that provides power to the evaporator fan.

I have been unable to track down a wiring diagram and noticed this site that seems to be very helpful. I look forward to any response. Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the parts diagram for your model:

Trace back the wires from the evaporator fan motor R/W and W and you should find the break in the wiring. Does the freezer light work when you open the door?

Here's the wiring diagram for your model:

Attachments

• techsheet-2004448.pdf
    716.1 KB · Views: 48

Bandar

Premium Member
Jake, thank you very much for the techsheet info and wiring diagrams.

Yes the freezer light does work when the door is open.

Using these diagrams I was able to track down the P.C. Board that provides power to the fan. It is the board that the refrigerator temperature controller is part of and it also powers the frig lights which are not working, or both bulbs are burned out. I haven't taken a meter to check things yet because the wife decided it was a really good time to start painting the kitchen since she could get at the walls behind the frig now.

I am hoping that it is not the board since that is no longer available. (Part #4388656) Hopefully it is something else.

Thanks again and I will update this thread in the next couple of days when I get it figured out.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that's it.

Unfortunately it's no longer available:
whirlpool-diffuser-4388656-ap3109138_01_l.jpg

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.