• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid KTRP18KDWH07: Warm Refrigerator, Ice Build-up in Freezer

GoodGuy1

Premium Member
Model Number
KTRP18KDWH07
Brand
KitchenAid
I'm trying to squeeze a little more life out of my 24 year-old analog refrigerator. This is a constantly recurring problem - approximately every two-three months, I have to empty out the freezer and break out the heat gun and carefully melt the ice build-up you see in the pictures. Here's what I've done in the past from checking YouTube videos, thinking I had the problem solved (all BEFORE I knew about THIS site :cry:!):

1) Replaced the mechanical timer (although I now doubt that this was the problem. The refrigerator seems to go through cycling on and off - 8 hours on 1/2 to 1 hour in defrost mode . I though it was defrosting as I thought I could hear sounds of water dripping at certain times.) Also, the unit seems to turn on and off on its own, as if to maintain temperatures in the freezer and refrigerator. After my previous manual defrostings, both compartments seem to hold temperatures well for days (not freezing foods nor warm/prematurely spoiled foods in the refrigerator).

2) Though unrelated to the temperature issue, I replaced the condenser fan at the same time I last defrosted - it was noisy.

I'd like to know what to check/test to try and resolve the issue. I've attached pictures I took today as I defrosted, yet again, to try to get cold air back to the refrigerator portion.

Thanks!
Wendell

RefrigeLabel.jpg

Attachments

• Frozen1.jpg
    Frozen1.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Frozen2.jpg
    Frozen2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Frozen3.jpg
    Frozen3.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 23

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

I have to empty out the freezer and break out the heat gun and carefully melt the ice build-up

Frost not ice.
Frost is white and ice is more clear.

Check the defrost heater...

whirlpool-heater-defrost-wp2315531-ap6007246_01_m.jpg
LINK> Defrost Heater

whirlpool-bimetl-def-wp4387503-ap6009317_01_m.jpg
LINK> Defrost bimetal thermostat

whirlpool-defrost-timer-paragon-wp2183400-ap6005994_01_m.jpg
LINK> Defrost Timer

Normally we check the heater, if it checks ok we replace the timer and stat.

jeff.