Kitchenaid KUDS30FX558 Slight Leak in front and only with detergent after 2 months of non-use

steve1859

Premium Member
Model Number
KUDS30FX558
Brand
KitchenAid
I have a very slight leak in the front of my dishwasher that appears to be dripping from the float area and the front insulation attached to the door is barely wet as well. I see small drips coming off the white float assembly when it is running. ** The unit wasn't used and was disconnected for 2 months during a remodel with no prior history of this issue. ** The unit is level and the same soap pods are being used as they were for years before. The units seems to only leak when soap is used. What could the 2 months lack of use have done to cause this? The unit runs great and cleans well. The unit was moved only 5 feet by myself and didn't suffer any damage. the size of the leak barely covers the center of a small saucer. I don't see how anything could have gotten damage/broken and hate to have to spend money on a 7 year old unit. Thoughts? Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The units seems to only leak when soap is used.
Hi Steve, It sounds like its oversudsing and dripping out.

Open the door when you see if dripping and see how much suds are in it.

Jake

steve1859

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I will do that, but my concern is why it just started doing that after 7 years or normal operation and while using the same detergent? I thought for sure that having the unit disconnected for 2 months during my remodel would be related to the issue. I will test the unit tonight and let you know what I find. Thanks again for your assistance! Steve

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's a good question Steve, but I don't know.

Jake

steve1859

Premium Member
Hey Jake.

I forgot to mention that all the loads I have run to this point was with the machine empty. I ran a load with it loaded and with soap and did not have any leaks. I ran another load that was slightly less full and I saw a very small leak under the float assembly area about the size of a quarter or half dollar. I opened the unit both time and saw no significant sudsing. Should the unit be able to ran with soap while empty without leaking? The unit does not leak at all while empty when soap is not used. The only area is below the float assy. The unit works normally in every other way. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Remove the float(It just pulls up) and check underneath it for gunk build-up in it.

If no gunk is underneath it, then it looks like your float gasket may be cracked or broken and causing the issue with it leaking.

The float gasket is #11 here:
(click to enlarge)
KUDS30FX558.jpg

Also check to make sure that nut #12 is tight above the float gasket, if its loose then that's why its leaking.

Here's the float gasket for your model you can order:
WP8531743 Gasket

Jake

steve1859

Premium Member
Will try it. Initially there seems to be zero gunk under the float, but the float only comes up a little ways and stops, (seems that it is secured it some way). Question, does the float just pull up and comes off smoothly. I don't want to damage the float or the assembly. It doesn't seem like it can be pulled off. Can you elaborate on how to do it.

Thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the float for your model:
Float WPW10195036

When you click the link to the float you will see a video of how to remove it.:)

Looks like they changed how to remove it, now you have to go from underneath and move the float stem out of the channel its in, then it will pull out.

It used to just pull out from the top without doing anything underneath it.:)

Jake