• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KitchenAid KUIC15NRXS1 ice machine gives water level sensor fault

Alex831

Premium Member
Model Number
KUIC15NRXS1
Brand
KitchenAid
4-5 year old ice machine stopped making ice. Cleaned machine and did not improve.

there is no filter on this model

In diagnostic mode, it shows a water level sensor malfunction, so I changed the sensor but I am still getting the same error and little to no ice. Interestingly, if I keep the sensor unplugged in diagnostic mode, I do not get an error message. I also changed the recirculating pump. When I start the cycle, the pumps engage and it makes a little ice. By tomorrow, that ice will have mostly melted and no more will have been made. Last year I changed the water fill valve and I inspected it today but it looks like it cannot be cleaned

This may be totally off, but the only thing I can see is that the wire harness that receives the sensor was a little corroded (i sprayed with contact spray and tried to brush hot out) but I cannot see where that harness goes to see if it is possible to change that. Has anyone had this issue and been able to resolve it??

Corrected model number

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You are missing a digit in your model number, read it from the tag on the machine.

Here's the results I get:
KUIC15NRXS1
KUIC15PRXS1

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Alex,

Sounds like you got a NEW defective water level sensor, where did you buy it at?

Here it is for your model:
Sensor WPW10548509

Also check for corroded wires at the sensor connector.

If everything checks good, then it has to be a bad control board, that's the only part left that would cause this problem.

Here's the control board for your model:
Main Control Board WPW10226156

Jake

Alex831

Premium Member
Thanks Jake.

I bought the sensor at Ideal Appliance Parts locally. is there a method to check the sensor to see if it is bad?

There was definitely some corrosion where the sensor wire connects to the wire harness that goes to the motherboard. Is there a way to “check” that connection other than a visual inspection?

Have you or anyone had experience changing that wire harness? I can’t really see if from the front of the machine

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
There was definitely some corrosion where the sensor wire connects to the wire harness
That's likely the problem then. No, I have not replaced that wire harness as of yet.

But I did locate the service manual here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yRlug3NihaJm70SLD_iHK2VZ5pYKYbGJ/view?usp=sharing Look on Page 5-5--->Accessing Ice bin electrical connections It shows you how to access it.

Here it is for your model:
whirlpool-wire-assy-pumps-wpw10340992-ap6019931_01_l.jpg

Let us know how it goes.:)

Jake

Alex831

Premium Member
Thanks to Jake for the advice.

Well, we solved that mystery. It seems one of the three wires from the back of the wire harness (on the control panel side) was so corroded that it fell off. A quick bypass of that wire and the sensor worked fine in diagnostic mode.
However, now the machine makes a few loads of ice and the water fill tube stops filling (I think it keeps getting frozen). If I unplug it for about 2 hours the reservoir will fill up again but then it will be frozen the following day. Any ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Well, we solved that mystery. It seems one of the three wires from the back of the wire harness (on the control panel side) was so corroded that it fell off. A quick bypass of that wire and the sensor worked fine in diagnostic mode.
Wonderful, glad to hear that.(y)

However, now the machine makes a few loads of ice and the water fill tube stops filling (I think it keeps getting frozen). If I unplug it for about 2 hours the reservoir will fill up again but then it will be frozen the following day. Any ideas?
That is odd, do you have it on MAX ICE?

Jake

Alex831

Premium Member
I had it on max ice intermittently.

Last night, I unplugged the machine and let it defrost over night and turned back on this morning. Hopefully, with a full 8 hours on defrost and without “max ice” at all, it won’t freeze?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hopefully, with a full 8 hours on defrost and without “max ice” at all, it won’t freeze?
Yes, that is Correct.

Jake