• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KitchenAid KUIC15PLTS1 stand alone ice maker - fill of reservoir too low - ice sheet thin

jm_maclaren

Premium Member
'Ive been out of touch with Mardi Gras here. So to answer your questions with fill sensor connected or not it does a 30s fill. I have changed the control board and that didn't change that.

After I put in the new wiring harness for the fill sensor and pumps I get the 3 flashing red lights when it comes to the harvesting stage. It does seem to pass warm gases through the evaporator plate as the whole thing warms up and stays warm and it never repeats a freeze cycle.

I looked more carefully at running with the evap thermistor disconnected. The 30s fill produces a thin uneven ice sheet as the water doesn't flow unifrmly over the evaporator. However it does repeat so over time the ice sheet grows quite thick

Clearly I messed up something when I put the new wiring harness in. Just not sure what. As you pointed out, it was a pain to do and I had to jiggle the copper lines to allow the plug of the harness to pass into the icemaker.

Last edited:

jm_maclaren

Premium Member
Unfortunately, while there where some recalls on the smart fill valve they told me based on my serial number it was not recalled, Nor would they send a new one free of charge :(
I don't see a kinked water line. In fact when the line is not connected to the ice make it fills a bucket oretty quickly and at a much faster flow than the valve. I could try replacing that smart valve and see what happens. Howver if it has a sensor why would the valve not stay open until it recahed the correct level unless the valve or control of it was broken. It has a bunch of electrical connections to it.

jm_maclaren

Premium Member
ok small progress - somehow the power connector to the hot gas valve had come off. Replacing that caused the ice sheet to form and harvest and the cycle restart, still have low fill problem.

jm_maclaren

Premium Member
Ok, fill the reservoir with water and see if it makes a good n solid sheet of ice.
seems to make a nice set of ice cubes. Ice sheet a little thinner at edge but I think that was because I added water to reservoir after it started freezing cycle and the ice started forming unevenly
So I'm thinking since our water is very hard is there any way to clean the valve with vinegar and let it soak into where the water goes, I know I can't immerse it. Can I apply a voltage to open the valve and cycle vinegar through it?

Last edited:

jm_maclaren

Premium Member
Ok got a replacement smart valve W10217917. Icemaker filling nicely now and making ice cubes! Problem appears solved thanks for your help. We have very hard water in New Orleans and I'm guessing valve is calcified. But I can't find a way so fill it with vinegar to clean it.

jm_maclaren

Premium Member
got a replacement water valve that doesn't leak. It's all working nicely. Pic is after running for a few hours.

icemaker.JPG

Last edited:

eag1213

Hi guys. I know this was several years ago, but I have been having the same issue with my ice maker. I replaced the water sensor, and the ice is still very thin. When I manually fill up the reservoir, it makes perfect ice. During the process of replacing the water senor, the "plugs" where the sensor plugs into, as well as the pumps was very corroded. Does it sound like I need to replace the smart valve like you did in the above thread?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Does it sound like I need to replace the smart valve like you did in the above thread?
Most definitely!

Jake