FIXED Kitchenaid KUIC18PNXS2 Ice Maker making wafer thin ice and melting before it can accumulate

twsmith

Premium Member
Model Number
KUIC18PNXS2
Brand
KitchenAid
The ice maker is running through all the cycles but the sheet of ice that is sliding down is so thin that by the time it hits the bin it is already melting. I have run it though a cleaning cycle and all the diagnostics check out.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds like the water inlet valve is going bad, thus not filling enough causing the thin ice.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model you can order:
W10585391 Valve

Another member had the exact same problem and his used the exact same water inlet valve, and he replaced it and he was back in business:

Your KitchenAid and his Jenn-Air are one in the same, both are under the Whirlpool Corporation, that's why they use the exact same water inlet valve.:)

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

twsmith

Premium Member
Thank you very much Jake,

That sure sounds like the same problem I'm having. Is the water inlet valve on a timer and that is why a weaker stream will limit the amount of water or is there a sensor? I disconnected the water sensor and the system has been making regular size ice again. I was thinking that the problem was the Control Board because the water sensor is new. Hopefully it is the water valve. Thank you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I believe it's on a timed fill.

Jake

twsmith

Premium Member
The new Water Valve came in today. I assembled it and now the machine is working perfect! The reservoir filled in 16 seconds as apposed to filling 2/3 of the way in the 3 minute override.

Problem solved.

Thank you very much Jake.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
(y) Excellent twsmith, glad to hear the new water inlet valve fixed it.

Thanks for the update!

Jake

twsmith

Premium Member
Well, I seem to have another problem.. The ice machine was working great but after it fills the bin and shuts off it will not come back on again. I had to unplug the unit and turn it back on again. It then fills the bin and when it's full it shuts down again and I have to unplug. Could this be the bin thermistor? Once it senses that it is full the unit shuts down but power will not come back on when the ice recedes below the sensor.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I located a service bulletin on this problem.

Serial Number Range: K20100000 to K20615001
Complaint: If “Max Ice” is selected, the ice maker may stop making ice.
Cause: A circuit in the key switch may fail and shut down ice production.
Confirm Problem: If “Max Ice” has been selected and the ice maker is not making ice, press the "Off/On" button. If the machine turns on the key switch needs to be replaced.
Note: Until new key switch is installed, the user can operate the equipment without “Max Ice” .

Correction: Order and install a new key switch and overlay.

Here's the key switch for this model you can order:
WPW10282116 Key Switch

Here's the overlay for this model you can order:
WPW10282108 Overlay

Jake

twsmith

Premium Member
I don't think this is the problem I have. My serial number is much newer K24014053. It makes ice on Max Ice but when it fills the bin all the way up to the bin thermistor it stops making ice (as it should) but it doesn't reactivate back on when the ice recedes.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's odd, you said it shut off:
The ice machine was working great but after it fills the bin and shuts off it will not come back on again. I had to unplug the unit and turn it back on again.
When the bin thermistor goes bad it won't stop making ice, the ice overflows.:)

Turn OFF the MAX ICE and see if it works normal.

Jake

twsmith

Premium Member
Models: All Brands All Models -- 2007 to current production

Serial Numbers: All

Concern: Ice maker does not work/lights do not illuminate.

Cause:
If the water level sensor (Figure 1) is shorted, it will cause the Ice Maker to go into a “sleep mode” preventing the unit from operating. This failure acts as if the control board has failed but it has not.

To Check: Disconnect the water level sensor; if the Ice Maker begins to operate, the sensor is shorted.

Correction: Order the water level sensor per parts break down and replace the component.

Do Not Replace the Control Board!

I just found this notice. I'll see if unplugging the water sensor works if and when it shuts off again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ice maker does not work/lights do not illuminate.
That's not the problem you are having, your ice maker is working fine, the problem is when the bin thermistor tells it to stop making ice because its full then it shuts the whole unit down.

That service bulletin is saying if the ice maker doesn't work at all, period.

Jake