• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Microwave KHMS2050SSS2. I have the same problem (intermittent beeping and it sometimes takes commands)

bmorgan

Premium Member
Model Number
KHMS2050SSS2
Brand
KitchenAid
I have the same problem as in this thread:

I've replaced several boards at this point. I replaced the keypad (WP8206635) and I replaced the Control Board (WP8206488). I still have the problem. I have figured out that if I plug in the microwave but never clear the welcome screen, it doesn't beep. So effectively I can use the fan and light but that's it. I've looked up the second user interface board (WPW10391271) in the door and is VERY expensive. I would like some reassurance that this will fix it before I spend another $200 on this microwave. Does anyone have any guidance? Thoughts on why it isn't possessed if I don't clear the welcome screen? Thank you in advance.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
OK, I'll assume you tried everything in the other thread. Are you getting any error codes? Here's the tech sheet. See if it can help:

Attachments

bmorgan

Premium Member
I did (try everything). I didn't have an error code before. But now the (newly installed) keypad doesn't work every time, so I'll work on checked that code again. I have to unplug and plug it back in several times for it to work.

I was finally able to get it to work and no error messages.

Attachments

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

bmorgan

Premium Member
Great. Ordered and it's a lot cheaper than the other possibility. Thank you very much. I hope this is the last $120 I'll throw at this machine. Any more of this and I'll give the microwave a stage name.

guitardad

Premium Member
I just ordered the same part for the same PIA KitchenAid Microwave. This comes after replacing the touchpad, which made no difference at all to the beeping, malfunctioning, shutting down, etc. So I've got the Control Board here. After once again painstakingly opening the back of the oven door to reach behind the touchpad area, I cannot see where the control board would fit. Where does the control board go?? PLEASE HELP! Thanks.

bmorgan

Premium Member
If I'm not mistaken, you don't have to split the door back apart to get to this. This panel is behind the right metal piece. Please tell me if I'm wrong (my part hasn't come in yet, so I haven't jumped into it), but if it's behind the right plate, it's SO much easier to get to.