• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KitchenAid Model KHMS2050SSS2 Microwave intermittently beeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitardad

Premium Member
*** Update to my KitchenAid Control Touchpad installation ***
Due to the design of the inner screw brackets that essentially hold the rubber/plastic inside cover which secures the touchpad against the circuit board, I had quite a lot of trouble making a snug fit. It appears one or two of the plastic threaded screw holes had snapped. Not sure why. Without these, it's almost impossible to hold the touchpad snug against the circuit board and the buttons won't work correctly. In the end, I managed to find a thin, longer screw that held it better than no screw at all, but not great. Putting the choke and rubber liner back on was tough, as the door was still attached. Yes, it would have been nice to have been able to remove that top hinge first. See below.

After turning the power off and on, I got the startup screen that asks to set the clock. No more error messages. Lights, fan and microwave seemed to be fully in control again and I rejoiced for about 2 hours. However, after using a skillet on the stove below the microwave for about 15 mins, the control pad started to beep and blink and change its readout again, as before. It seems that heat affects the connections somehow. After about 5 mins, it became completely inoperable again. Buttons wouldn't respond at all. Even the lights underneath shut off. In order to clear this problem, I need to keep turning the power on and then off. So it is working SOMEWHAT, but obviously something else may need to be replaced. In fact, it might not have been the control touchpad at all that was the problem. Not sure.

Also, it was with supreme difficulty that I replaced the touchpad while the door was still attached. I wouldn't recommend this. As many have pointed out here and in other forums, the top hinge has a hidden attachment that seemingly doesn't allow for removal. However, I just came across a possible answer at Appliance Parts for those who can't remove the microwave door. I haven't tried this yet but am posting it here for possible edification:

*** ANSWER Tom, You will have to remove the door to change out the control in the door. If you remove the vent cover there is one screw at the top of the door to remove and the bottom sits in the hinge and needs to be lifted up and off the hinge. There is a wire harness to disconnect also that is accessed by dropping the lower cover to see the disconnect. Once the door is removed you can remove the inner cover to replace the control. ***

If anyone has gotten to this point -- replaced touchpad but still having issues -- have you been successful replacing a secondary part? Thanks in advance.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
bmorgan, we started a new thread with your model number and description of your problem. This one has too many members making it difficult for me to follow. I'm going to close this thread.

@bmorgan here's your new thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.